Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever had a favourite item of clothing copied by a dressmaker?

(11 Posts)
lalalonglegs Sat 30-May-09 15:30:23

I have four pairs of identical trousers (only FCUK, nothing designer) that I have now worn to death but they are brilliant and I cannot bear to throw them away. Have you ever used a tailoring/dressmaking service to have a garment copied and how successful was it? Did it cost the earth?

lalalonglegs Sun 31-May-09 12:43:50

Anyone?

nevergoogledragonbutter Sun 31-May-09 12:48:44

i think it sounds like a good idea in principle. Of course it depends on the dressmaker and whether you can find the right fabric.

I can't imagine it would be cheaper though.

JeanPoole Sun 31-May-09 15:48:39

yes, and they did a great job,

unfortuatley this was in thailand.
so not alot of help, unless your going there on holiday.

lalalonglegs Sun 31-May-09 18:17:42

Yes, I did think about Hong Kong but not likely to be visiting...

Jewelsandgems Sun 31-May-09 20:45:45

My friend had it done through ebay - with an evening dress. She sent a picture of a dress from a film (cannot remember which one) and her measurements, and about 2 months later received the dress. She actually had 2 dresses copied from pictures - one turned out great, the other not so great. But, I imagine if you have the actual garment to send over there, then you should be gurateed a good result no?

moondog Sun 31-May-09 20:47:06

Yes,in bangladesh where my dh works.

lalalonglegs Sun 31-May-09 20:56:06

Hmmm, no plans to visit Bangladesh either sad but jewels tell me more about ebay option - did your friend send them overseas?

Jewelsandgems Sun 31-May-09 21:54:43

I have emailer her for more info - will let you know what she replies

woodenchair Sun 31-May-09 22:17:07

We have a local dry cleaners that has a tailor attached. He took a dress for me last year to reduce it in size. I found him by asking in John Lewis, who are normally pretty good at recommendations.

lalalonglegs Tue 02-Jun-09 15:56:21

I've tried a couple of local places but they are very much of the take up a hem variety. Any news from your friend jewels, I've got ridiculously excited about this possibility?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now