Advanced search

Please tell me about cetaphil?

(44 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Wed 07-Mar-18 18:49:30

I posted earlier but messed up the title cheers autocorrect
I am having trouble with dry/dehydrated red irritated and a bit spotty skin. I don't know what to try. I have seen cetaphil mentioned a lot would you recommend it? As a cleanser or moisturiser or both. I was wondering about trying the cleanser and either the moisture cream or the daily moisture which is factor 50. Can anyone help please?

SugarDarling Wed 07-Mar-18 18:53:51

I've used cetaphil in the past but had trouble getting hold of it (here in the sticks) so tried aveeno daily moisturising lotion instead (tesco)and it's fab for that type of skin

JollyGiraffe Wed 07-Mar-18 18:58:27

I used to use the cleanser. I liked it, but it wasn't my favourite.

My skin is exactly like yours.

My (surprising) favourite is the e.l.f Daily Face Cleanser. It is so so cheap and extremely natural.

I use that in the morning and Liz Earle balm at night. Best combination I've found! (And I have tried so many....)

FiveNightsAtMummys Wed 07-Mar-18 18:59:29

I tried the cleanser it was only ok. Didn't buy it again

Claricestarling1 Wed 07-Mar-18 19:02:47

I would recommend it 👍 my skin gets dry and tight after cleansing but not with this. Also it’s the only cleanser that doesn’t make my face feel like it has residue on it - it’s plain, which makes me feel clean!!

keeponkeepinon Wed 07-Mar-18 19:08:15

Is it the bar or the pump cleanser?
And what moisturiser shall I try?

Bodicea Wed 07-Mar-18 20:58:10

I’ve read it’s quite harsh, with alcohol etc. I tried the moisturiser and did nothing for me. Cerave is supposed to be gentler, and has just come to the uk

MeadowHay Wed 07-Mar-18 21:58:20

I used to use it and liked it but thought it was pricey for what it was. Found it difficult to find it and used to buy it from Amazon.

Butterandsugar Wed 07-Mar-18 22:18:13

Ok, my last comment failed to post :-( please step away from the Cetaphil, it's got a high alcohol content and more likely to dry you out long term. It's one of those things that are branded as gentle but really isn't.

Are you using anything high in alcohol or foaming now? The sukin range is quite good for gentle affordable skincare, you can get it from boots (though avoid the foaming cleanser), the body shop camomile range isn't life changing but the balm cleanser is a good makeup remover before you actually cleanse your skin and both boots and superdrug do own brand hot cloth cleansing balms that are better than more expensive (i.e. Liz Earle) alternatives

LostInShoebiz Wed 07-Mar-18 22:22:02

Friends don't let friends use Cetaphil!

Butterandsugar Wed 07-Mar-18 22:23:46

True that ^

Callamia Wed 07-Mar-18 22:23:48

I don’t like it much.
Boudicea, where is stocking Cerave? My face wash is from amazon.

Butterandsugar Wed 07-Mar-18 22:25:12

jalopy Thu 08-Mar-18 08:30:10

I love the cetaphil cleanser. Not drying at all. Leaves my skin lovely and soft.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Thu 08-Mar-18 09:21:23

My dermatologist recommends cetaphil and I've been getting on with it fine for years (the pump cleanser, and the moisturiser). In fact, it's only been in the last couple of weeks with the cold weather that I've even needed to moisturise, usually I don't need to at all. Everyone suits different things!

You can get it online at Boots or order to store, or if you are a Costco member you can get double packs of huge bottles (of both cleanser and moisturiser) for about £14 which is a bargain.

Kathysclown Thu 08-Mar-18 09:29:47

I was prescribed Cetaphil when I had terrible oral perioral dermatitis.

I was advised to use nothing else on my skin, and to gently pat the Cetaphil onto my skin once a day - so it acted as both cleanser and moisturiser, I guess.

It did clear my skin up within a couple of weeks, so for that reason I loved it! However, once my skin had recovered from it's terrible state, I found it to be too greasy for continued use, and I have very slowly moved to other products for very sensitive skin (primarily Lush Celestial moisturiser). I changed over about a 12 month period, not wanting to risk my skin flaring up again.

I think that it can be hit and miss as to what works for your skin - for example, Aveeno made my skin far worse, whereas it is often recommended.

echt Thu 08-Mar-18 09:55:15

I use the Cetaphil cleanser to remove eye makeup and wash my face. It's fine. Moisturise with Nivea Soft.

keeponkeepinon Thu 08-Mar-18 10:12:19

I'm finding this confusing! There seemed to be so much love for cetaphil for red and dry and sensitive skin!
I just want to find something inexpensive and very simple to use.
I currently use soap (following the soap threads) on my face - don't shout! Then a nivea q10 moisturiser in the day and nivea sleep cream or something on the evening. But it's always red on my cheeks particularly. And can be dry even though I've just moisturised.
Is cool clear skin just an impossibility?
Btw I use garnier bb cream instead of foundation. I don't like anything heavy or drying and it just mellows it out a bit. And very easy to use. Would a cc cream be better?

YerTiz Thu 08-Mar-18 11:33:48

I use cetaphil cleanser in the evenings and follow it with a night cream from Lidl (classy me grin).

In the morning I just rinse my face with cool water and moisturise. Also use the Garnier BB cream instead of foundation.

This is the best routine for me - the more I fuss (and if I cleanse in the morning) the more dry/irritated and spotty my skin gets, so simple works best.

Otherwise, diet makes a HUGE difference to my skin. I broke out terribly last week as I ate all the carbs and sugar. It’s clearing up nicely this week as I’m eating loads of fruits and veggies, good fats and drinking lots of water.

Panickypete Thu 08-Mar-18 15:43:05

I have the most sensitive skin in the world and cetaphil is my only cleanser friend! It keeps my skin calm and happy. I have v oily acne prone skin and using this every day calms everything down.

keeponkeepinon Thu 08-Mar-18 16:08:24

Those who are saying they thought the cetaphil worked, would you say your skin issues were similar to mine?

Bodicea Thu 08-Mar-18 16:31:44

Boots has started stocking cerave this week but it’s allover the forums so they have pretty much sold out of everything on the first day!

keeponkeepinon Thu 08-Mar-18 17:35:55

Even the cerave stuff is confusing, I wouldn't know what to go for!
I don't know if lotions or creams are better as moisturiser, sometimes a heavy cream just sits slippery on my skin, making my hair oily. Which makes me think it's not the right type of product.

YerTiz Thu 08-Mar-18 19:18:32

My skin is sometimes dry in places but I get spots around my chin, and it can be sensitive too.

When my skin was at its worse last year I also went for a while just using Lush Ultrabland cleanser. It’s very rich so didn’t need a moisturiser and it’s very calming. Could be another option.

YerTiz Thu 08-Mar-18 19:20:28

I’d say cetaphil works but if I use it too much (i.e in the mornings too) it does dry my skin out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now