Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Biggest waste of money?

(115 Posts)
GlitteryStag Tue 12-Dec-17 21:19:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

falange Tue 12-Dec-17 21:24:15

Some powder stuff that was supposed to make your skin look so good it was like having a filter on it. It made mine look like I'd been doused in talcum powder. Hideous.

Uptownfuckuup Tue 12-Dec-17 21:27:37

The big hair
Any contoure kits (shit at it)
At home gel kits (again shit at it and doesn’t last)

Crochetnanigans Tue 12-Dec-17 21:28:06

Big hair for me too

GlitteryStag Tue 12-Dec-17 21:29:01

ImADingleDangleScarecrow Tue 12-Dec-17 21:29:50

Agree OP - Chanel nail polish is beyond shite. Nearly all the cheap brands outperform it by a million miles - Rimmel, Barry M, Bourjois.

BBH does nothing for my hair either.

Blodplod Tue 12-Dec-17 21:29:56

Big hair is the absolute dogs.. I bet you’re all not using it correctly (ducks).

Mulberrysilk Tue 12-Dec-17 21:30:00

Love the big hair.
My biggest waste of money was babyliss curl secret.

Madonnasmum Tue 12-Dec-17 21:30:39

2 x gel kits
1 x big hair
Every volume mascara going
Any hair wand/curler/straightener

They are all shit but I won't give up.....

Blodplod Tue 12-Dec-17 21:32:08

Ohh! I love the curl thing as well.. I’ve got big thick frizzy hair and BBH sorts it out in no time. Along with a good Brazilian blow dry, both products have transformed (yes literally) my hair!

BobbinThreadbare123 Tue 12-Dec-17 21:33:42

Clinique hand cream. Everything else is so good and I'm always on a search for some thing for my poor dry hands. It's poop.

ImADingleDangleScarecrow Tue 12-Dec-17 21:36:20

Clarins Beauty Flash Balm is crap imo. I persevered with it for a bit but hated it more each time I used it.

HermioneN Tue 12-Dec-17 21:37:33

Oh, are you sure about the BBH, I have the worlds thickest hair I promise and I wouldn't be without mine. Have you done enough sections? Entirely misses point of thread...

CastielIsMyAngel Tue 12-Dec-17 21:38:46

£95 Chanel moisturiser. It was nice enough but not amazing and certainly no better than ones half the price and less.

Guerlain Meterorites. Made no difference to my face

GlitteryStag Tue 12-Dec-17 21:41:25

timeforabrewnow Tue 12-Dec-17 21:45:49

@bobbin Clarins Hand Cream is gorgeous and so worth the money.

Buy some and agree with me grin

DaisyDando Tue 12-Dec-17 21:46:16

Blimey, only through reading this have I remembered that I have the Big Hair and the Curl Secret, both forgotten in a drawer somewhere.
I also have rubbishy Chanel nail polish, more than one bottle, because I Never Learn.
I was conned into buying some snake oil pre-primer out of politeness from Lancôme and that's probably my biggest regret.

BobbinThreadbare123 Tue 12-Dec-17 21:48:18

timeforabrewnow is it better than Neutrogena? Which is also not that amazing. My hands are like crunchy paper. Great user name btw.

ggirl Tue 12-Dec-17 21:50:44

Chanel mascara- pile of clumpy shit

Acopyofacopy Tue 12-Dec-17 21:51:14

Body shop hemp hand cream is the best, and cheap to boot.

timeforabrewnow Tue 12-Dec-17 21:52:53

bobbin - it's certainly as moisturising as Neutragena - but it smells divine as well.

It sounds like you might need something a bit more industrial possibly. Not sure what??

PS only have the one username and never really change it - thanks though!

ggirl Tue 12-Dec-17 21:53:32

elemis marine cream-gave me spots

BusterGonad Tue 12-Dec-17 21:54:49

Any hair removal cream-never ever removes hair, only skin!
Lovely expensive face creams, 9 out of 10 times they give me eczema, I must try to remember that however glamorous the advert is, is that Astral is the best....
Free gifts with purchase, they are not free and usually once I've removed them out of their pretty box/bag the lust for them has gone!

WillowWept Tue 12-Dec-17 21:55:28

I like the big hair and flash balm, although think No 7 primer is better (and cheaper)

I waste a lot on clothes - all those things I love but know deep down don’t suit me.

GlitteryStag Tue 12-Dec-17 21:56:06

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: