Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fat and Fifty - where to shop?!

(19 Posts)
WizardOfToss Wed 01-Nov-17 18:19:27

Size 16/18, hour glass figure, really happy with my shape.

I've recently picked up a lot of consultancy work (rather unexpectedly) which means getting out of scruffs and into something rather better - but not suited and booted. More workshop environment.

Where do I shop? It seems to be a sea of shite out there - cold shoulder tops, nasty fabrics, baggy shapeless beige arrangements that do nothing for me.

I like fashion (or I did), love colour, would like to dress appropriately but not boringly. Mid range budget - top end high street sort of thing. Although in fact I have no high street as I live in the wilds of the West Country! So online best.

Any advice from you lovely lot?

SilentlyScreamingAgain Wed 01-Nov-17 18:35:27

Not cheap but they have some lovely wrap dresses in the sale:

www.navabi.co.uk/specials.html?category[]=dresses&category[]=day-dresses&sale=true

TriGirl007 Wed 01-Nov-17 18:40:26

I tend to buy online (also in west country) a real mix of weird fish, white stuff, Boden, Debenhams, mistral kinda of smart casual dresses, skirts and fitted T-shirts with boots or fitted trousers & I have couple of non-iron blouses from Dorthery Perkins.

WizardOfToss Wed 01-Nov-17 21:20:36

Thanks both. Any more?

graziemille Thu 02-Nov-17 05:35:38

Toast.
Red Herring.
Scarlett & Jo.

graziemille Thu 02-Nov-17 05:37:25

And Mint Velvet

FinallyHere Thu 02-Nov-17 06:40:29

Book yourself a personal style appointment at a JohnLewis and see what they come up with for you. I have hear great reports, no pressure to buy anything but you will find things you love.

2014newme Thu 02-Nov-17 06:44:32

I love the John lewis personal shopper they are brilliant.
If you have a small waist that's unusual for your size but you can always buy things for your hips and get them taken in at the waist

KarmaNoMore Thu 02-Nov-17 06:48:32

It is the automatic choice but I love Evans, very flattering stuff. I like it so much I got upset I couldn't use it anymore when I became a 14. (I have also an hourglass figure so finding something that fits my (huge) hips but it is not to big at my waist it is quite a hassle, but I always found something in Evans.

rizlett Thu 02-Nov-17 07:00:16

Try Lindybop - I've been impressed by their dresses. [some are too dressy for work but others are good and ridiculously cheap in the current sale.]

Therealslimshady1 Thu 02-Nov-17 07:40:23

Lindybop looks like fancy dress on me sad

NefretForth Thu 02-Nov-17 07:47:42

A word of caution about the JL personal shoppers - I did it a while ago when I was looking for a special occasion outfit and she made me feel like shit. And, to add insult to injury, she hadn't read anything I'd put on the online booking form, so I wasted a fair bit of the appointment explaining what I was looking for. I didn't quite come home and cry but close. Basically it was all my fault for not being the right shape for the clothes. (I'm an hourglass, and short.)

homebird86 Thu 02-Nov-17 07:48:47

Joanie Clothing is like a more tasteful Lindybop IMO
https://joanieclothing.com

Or Hush Clothing is great (if you can justify spending that much) xx

WizardOfToss Thu 02-Nov-17 08:45:53

Thank you all!

Lots to look at. It would be a 3 hour round trip for me to get to John Lewis (sobs) so a bit wary of risking a bad experience!

I like the idea of getting things adjusted. A friend is always saying that - spend a bit on a dressmaker and look really well dressed for a fraction of the price of bespoke. Anyone else tried that?

SheffieldStealer Thu 02-Nov-17 08:50:31

nefret which JL was it, out of interest? I had quite a similar experience!

wizard I had a dress made for me by the local dressmaker, and it was a revelation. Everything looks better when it's fitted to your actual measurements. I've decided that next year i'm going to ask her to make me some basics - black skirt, simple dresses, the pieces that never quite fit when I buy from shops - and rotate them like a uniform, mixed with high street blouses, etc. I don't think it'll work out much more expensive than buying quality 'grown up clothes' from somewhere like Jaeger.

Therealslimshady1 Thu 02-Nov-17 13:23:51

Nefret shock

NefretForth Thu 02-Nov-17 15:23:37

It was Peter Jones in Sloane Square. Sorry you had a similar experience, Sheffield!

Deathraystare Fri 03-Nov-17 09:40:18

Not sure if they have much in your sizing but I was reading a book by Janet Street Porter who claims to be a size 14 and she had a personal shopping experience at Liberty and really enjoyed it. Worth a try if you think they have your size??

SheffieldStealer Fri 03-Nov-17 14:42:34

nefret I bet it was the same personal shopper - she had her own style, which was great and really worked for her, but no one had bothered to read the detailed info I'd given in the online form about what I was looking for, she brought loads of very tight dresses in the same colour, and the choices she made didn't seem to reflect my actual body type at all.

Overall, her advice was more along the lines of 'this'll hide your regrettable stomach' rather than 'this makes the most of your long neck' - I left feeling pretty miserable about myself too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now