Talk

Advanced search

Completely lost my style mojo

(5 Posts)
FluffyMcCloud Wed 25-Oct-17 22:42:52

This is also bit of a mental health issue but I'd rather post here as it is manifesting as a style issue! And maybe that is easier to work on right now!

I've completely lost me. I have gained a lot of weight in a short time, and I suddenly hate all my clothes. I am still smaller than I was at my biggest (and I was happy and confident when I was the bigger size) but I get dressed in the morning and everything I wear makes me want to cry.

I used to feel confident in my style - which was casual and a bit quirky, maybe a bit young for my age, but I always felt like me and I always felt like I rocked it.

Now... I am a fat, frumpy, unhappy nearly 40 year old. I hate my hair, I hate all my clothes, I hate my fat belly and my enormous thighs. I haven't a single item of clothing I feel good in.

I say this is a mental health issue because I know it is linked to depression and self esteem. BUT I don't know how to fix my mental health right now. I feel like buying clothes is an easier way to fix my style rut grin

What do I do? Buy a whole new wardrobe? Keep wearing the clothes I used to love until I love them again?

I plan to try and lose weight which I hope will help, but what do you do when you completely lose who you are style wise? I hate every time I look in the mirror sad

MayFayner Wed 25-Oct-17 23:43:41

Sorry to hear you're feeling shit. I know this feeling of being a stranger in your own clothes so well.

What used you feel good in? Would you say you're more of an apple shape, or a pear?

FluffyMcCloud Thu 26-Oct-17 07:27:49

I'm definitely an apple. I have good legs (even those are letting me down right now but I'm determined to believe in my good legs!) and a big tummy.
I used to love wearing skater dresses but now I put them on and my butt looks enormous. My wardrobe mainly consists of short dresses or skirts, leggings and boots or leggings with tunic type tops.

I own one pair of jeans which just about still fit but I look like a weeble in them now! And I've no idea what to wear with them - my usual t shirts and jumpers make me look like a grumpy old woman or a weirdo trying to look 16...

I fear I have always looked awful and the scales have simply fallen from my eyes!

My hair is a growing out crop so I hate the length but I want to grow it. I went to hairdressers yesterday to try and make myself feel better but it still looks awful! I own a lot of hair accessories, I love a funky clip or a headband.

I know weight loss will help but in the meantime I need at least one good outfit to feel ok in...

Lelleybells Thu 26-Oct-17 07:54:04

A friend of mine was in a very similar place to you. She basically reinvented herself! She now wears clothes with a 50s vibe with amazing headscarves and gorgeous colours. She put on a bit of weight due to health reasons and having a baby. She completely owns her Look now and it really suits her. Bright jewel colours, gorgeous red hair (coloured), bright lipstick, amazing dresses with tights/leggings and jumpsuits (worn quite loose but with a belt) I am in awe of her style. Maybe trawl Pinterest for some style inspiration? My gorgeous friend spends time at charity shops and browsing on Ebay. I think her new look gives her much needed confidence. Go on be brave and surprise yourself.

MayFayner Thu 26-Oct-17 09:53:04

I was where you are last year and I have to admit I went down the skinny jeans/ jeggings and longish, boxy top route. Not the most fashion-forward but it got me over the hump and I was comfortable!

I got a couple of tops from All-saints, I think they were described as "dresses" in the website but they are mid-thigh on me so tops afaiac.

Also I found black skinny jeans more flattering than blue denim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now