Talk

Advanced search

Clueless about skin stuff.

(8 Posts)
Undercoverbanana Wed 04-Oct-17 08:20:19

My GP has told me to start using a moisturiser with sun cream in.

I am 49, am a very outdoorsy person and have started getting blotchy rashes on my face. My GP told me that my skin has started to react to the sun and that I should start protecting my skin. I have never used moisturiser and only put sun cream on very rarely in my life in hot countries.

I don't do make uppy type things and am lost. I use Vaseline on my lips - that's all. GP says I shouldn't use this on my whole face.

I need something cheap and that doesn't smell too much. I am a very sweaty runner so whatever I put on needs to not make me sweat more than I already do and that won't just drip off me (can that even happen?).

Any advice please?

Undercoverbanana Wed 04-Oct-17 17:26:15

Nobody? I thought you lot knew about all this stuff.

Please don't make me have to ask a painted lady in Boots. I just can't.

BumWad Wed 04-Oct-17 17:33:27

Hi undercover

You absolutely don’t need anything expensive but agree with your GP that a good moisturiser with spf will help your skin. I would also use a night cream so that your skin can renew in the night and will give it added moisture

www.boots.com/boots-simply-sensitive-day-moisturiser-spf15-125ml-10121563 Boots simply range

www.boots.com/yourgoodskin-spf-30-anti-oxidant-day-cream-75ml-10233391 Yourgoodskin

I hear the small Nivea blue tin is great as a night cream and cheap too

smilesandsun Wed 04-Oct-17 17:38:31

Hi

What about using basic neutrogena moisturiser you can get it at boots, I like the pink one. it doesn't smell and soaks in so won't drip off

i'd use a seperate moisturiser try a kids one for sensitive skin from boots too I use the kids Nivea one and like it.

I also like the la roche posey sunscreen but is more expensive.

use a cleanser at night too though to get the sunscreen off

Undercoverbanana Wed 04-Oct-17 18:50:22

Mmmmm - thanks for the replies. At least I can go into Boots looking confident and purposeful rather than having to ask the full-face, Scouse eyebrow and fake-nails women at the front. So can I just go to the "normal" aisles for these types of products (and don't have to breathe in the hideous perfumes near the doors)?

MilfordFound Wed 04-Oct-17 19:14:17

Moisturisers with spf are not great as sun protection. You'd be better off using a moisturiser then a separate spf30+. I like the boots Soltan range as they have 5* uva protection.

BumWad Wed 04-Oct-17 21:52:52

You absolutely won’t have to speak to anyone

Get to the regular skincare aisles and browse at your leisure

Also agree with getting a good face wash if you’re using an spf in the day (cetaphil is good for sensitive skin)

smilesandsun Thu 05-Oct-17 17:59:00

Oh yes cetaphil is good so is bioderma micellar water (my favourite) ... cheap and very effective!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now