Talk

Advanced search

Good quality 'proper' swimsuit?

(20 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Sun 29-Jan-17 14:54:51

Any recommendations for a proper sport swimsuit for the baths that supports boobs and tum? Like adidas or speedo or similar? Are supermarket ones too crappy and thin?

Euphemia Sun 29-Jan-17 14:56:09

Lands End are good but pricey.

keeponkeepinon Sun 29-Jan-17 16:03:44

What are adidas and speedo sizing like?

Gullane Sun 29-Jan-17 17:58:59

Cozzies from turboswimwear.co.uk are quite firm. They do come up a bit snug so check out their sizing chart - I usually wear a 34 in Zoggs/ Speedo and am a large in a Turbo.

bingohandjob Sun 29-Jan-17 18:03:38

I've got a Lands' End onepiece and tankini - both are the best quality of any swimwear I've bought and stand up great to saltwater and chlorine and drying in the sun!

CMOTDibbler Sun 29-Jan-17 18:09:44

I have quite a lot of swimming costumes - boyleg ones from Sports Direct (excellent when you want more coverage and not to do your bikini line), a proper Speedo one (feels a bit exposed, no support, but looks great), a Panache bra sized, underwired one (flattering), and a Zoggs underwired one.

If you are going to do a lot of swimming, the ones sold as tummy control don't tend to hold up to doing lengths imo, and it doesn't matter as you'll be in the water. The important thing is a costume that stops your norks wandering off out of the neckline!

CallarMorvern Sun 29-Jan-17 20:51:43

I'm liking Aquasphere at the moment. I find Sports Direct seems to be mainly Slazenger, which aren't supportive at all, but great for my 11yr old. I have tried a Speedo Sculpture which was nice and supportive, but I need a long body and it wasn't quite a fit. The Speedo sizing also seemed to vary between styles.

MabelFurball Sun 29-Jan-17 20:58:43

I have found Bon Marche cossies as good as any and very reasonably priced. Also have had Lands End cossies from Debenhams website when in the sale (tugless they are called).

christinarossetti Sun 29-Jan-17 20:59:37

Have a look at Maine New England range in Debenhams. Modest cuts, 'boy short' legs if you can't be bothered with bikini line nonsense, and lots of racer backs which are more supportive than straps or halter necks.

Wash and wear pretty well too.

Notjustuser1458393875 Sun 29-Jan-17 21:00:20

Maru are good quality and often under £30.

keeponkeepinon Mon 30-Jan-17 10:44:13

I tried a speedo from sports direct and the body was so short! And the fabric was quite thin. It was only cheap- that's probably why!
It doesn't really need to be underlined or super supportive, I am more concerned with it being thick firm fabric and fitting well. I am thinking of getting something from sports direct as I have a voucher. So zoggz or speedo or adidas. Just not sure which will be the best quality.

keeponkeepinon Mon 30-Jan-17 11:09:11

I know the speedo watergem gets talked about a lot, but I am worried about the cups and ruching looking a bit aging. I've had ruching on costumes before and always ended up feeling 20 years older than I am. The shaping of the cups, does it do this? Not sure whether to just stick to straightforward non cup suit.

Lovelybangers Mon 30-Jan-17 11:15:01

I got a speedo swimsuit in a sale recently. Was about £17 - half price.

It has a shelf bra - which for me o is better than nothing.

I plan to use it for swimming lengths not sunbathing and it feels v comfy.

But brands all fit differently.

Blossomdeary Mon 30-Jan-17 11:19:18

These are comfortable - and mega cheap at this outlet.

lingerieoutletstore.co.uk/ladies-triumph-doreen-o-soft-cup-supportive-swimming-costume-swimsuit/?CAWELAID=120209260000082088&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=33428826147&CATCI=pla-28106119216&catargetid=120209260000090298&cadevice=c&gclid=CPbFjsPf6dECFcW87Qodig4MNA

CallarMorvern Mon 30-Jan-17 13:38:54

Wouldn't recommend Adidas swimsuits, DD's last one was bloody expensive and it wore horribly - faded and baggy within a few months. We've always found Speedo and Slazenger wear well, they just haven't been a good fit for me recently. I used to buy Arena when I swam a lot, but don't even know if they still exist.

keeponkeepinon Mon 30-Jan-17 13:45:54

ok, down to
blue speedo
black and pink
black and blue

dont really want to order all, which shall I try?

Shukinskaya Mon 30-Jan-17 14:10:31

OP I cannot recommend speedo endurance highly enough, bought one 18 (!!) years ago and it's still going strong. It has a shelf bra, over shoulder straps and a bikini clasp back. I think I'd struggle to get into a muscle back or cross back suit if I'm honest but out of those three I'd go with the first.

keeponkeepinon Mon 30-Jan-17 14:21:37

excellent! whats the sizing like?

Shukinskaya Mon 30-Jan-17 16:32:04

I'd size up. I would have been a 12 when I bought it and mine is a 14. When it finally falls apart I'll go for something like this www.speedostore.co.uk/speedo-fit-kickback-swimsuit/810367B345.html (forgotten how to link on phone!) I have big boobs and bizarrely prefer a lower neckline and otherwise they feel hoiked up and squashed.

Astoria7974 Mon 30-Jan-17 16:38:14

I personally prefer the all in one boy leg by slazenger. No padding but it supports well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now