Talk

Advanced search

clothes for a long weekend city break

(9 Posts)
secondhoneymoon Sat 16-Apr-16 18:37:45

Going to Budapest in May for 4 days, so it should be warmish. I'm useless at wardrobe planning and clothes shopping so would appreciate some help. I'm going to treat myself to a few new pieces, but was wondering a) what would you take (mainly sight seeing and meals out, nothing too fancy) b) can you send me links to examples please?
I am mid 40s, average height and a bit chubby (ample size 14) so nothing too clingy. I do have lots of clothes so once you lovely people help me with outfit ideas, I'll see what I've already got and top up with a few new things. Any help appreciated, thank you

Magicrealism Sun 17-Apr-16 08:38:33

I've just bought this jacket from Jigsaw. I think it's a perfect smart casual item for a city break.

Magicrealism Sun 17-Apr-16 08:43:43

Would also recommend the Courtney jacket (kakhi) and Elodie dress (in black) from Wrap London. I will wear them with black espadrilles from Jigsaw when the weather improves.

I'm also a size 14.

StrawberrytallCake Sun 17-Apr-16 08:50:54

Can't help as am in same boat but I love those outfits, especially the second one!

StrawberrytallCake Sun 17-Apr-16 08:56:24

Actually if you do like the second outfit there is a much cheaper and similar looking dress in M&S - honestly I don't work for them, I just quite like some of their stuff contrary to the usual MN opinion. here

Although the hem isn't as long, it is jersey and I would worry about taking a linen dress in a suitcase, having said that the Elodie dress is very beautiful!

MadSprocker Sun 17-Apr-16 09:03:16

Comfortable shoes or smarties trainers are a must! Unless you are going to a really smart restaurants, they should be fine for eating out too. I am not sure about Budapest, but usually if you visit churches, you have to be modestly dressed, eg shoulders covered. Have a lovely time.

MadSprocker Sun 17-Apr-16 09:38:59

Smart trainers! Don't you just love autocorrect.

dibly Sun 17-Apr-16 11:58:53

Basic black and white shirts or vests, denim or lightweight jacket, maxi dress, pumps, sandals, black cigarette trousers, jeans, and a few nicer tops for evenings with colour, bit like www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/tops/view-all/boat-neck-blouse-c719021p3302513.html

secondhoneymoon Sun 17-Apr-16 17:33:22

Thank you all. Love the jacket, definitely fancy something like that. I have a casual blazer but I like the idea that kind of jacket. I think cropped trousers, trainers/comfy sandals and mix n max tops the way to go. Pics of outfits above all help Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now