Advanced search

What is this style of dress called, and can you find me one for less than £50

(9 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Mon 22-Feb-16 15:38:41

I am a fashion eejit and have no clue what styles are called (I spent an hour last night on a thread about shoes and had to Google brogues, slingbacks and Chelsea boots blush)

Anyway, this is the kind of shape dress that normally suits me but what do I Google to find something like it? I need something to wear for a party, not white but other than that I don't really mind what colour.

Please help a clueless woman.

Buzzardbird Mon 22-Feb-16 15:41:10

I would call that a 'shift' dress.

Buzzardbird Mon 22-Feb-16 15:43:49

If you Google 'shift dress' loads of this style come up for Top Shop, Boden, Boohoo etc. Hope that helps. (obviously the one in your photo is an A line shift as opposed to a straight shift)

BosomySusan Mon 22-Feb-16 15:45:14

I'd call it a tulip dress - the skirt is sort of wider over the hips and narrows down.
There's a few on JL under £50..(sorry for crappy links)

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 22-Feb-16 15:47:09

Thanks Buzzardbird So an A line shift means it is pulled in at the waist a bit? I'd thought shift dresses were normally straight up and down (and normally make me look pregnant).

I'm off too Google sleeveless A line shift dress...

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 22-Feb-16 15:48:56

Thanks BosomySusan (nice name grin) I don't actually want one that goes in at the bottom. What I like about the one in the photo is that it is sort of pinched in at the waist and high necked with no sleeves.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 22-Feb-16 15:55:23

If you hit the John Lewis website you can search for Dress and refine by Style=Shift, Price 0-50 pounds, and then select your preferred neckline, sleeve length and colours. They've got 116 sleeveless shift dresses in your budget.

Buzzardbird Mon 22-Feb-16 16:18:08

Yes OP, it is an A Line shift as it is widest at the bottom. Tulips are wider at the hip and go in at the bottom, in a tulip shape.

Loads available. Look for belted A line shift dress if you really want it nipped in at waist.

Effiethemonster Mon 22-Feb-16 16:55:25

Joy are pretty good for those style dresses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now