Talk

Advanced search

would it be wise to have rubber soles put on leather soled boots? how much should I expect to pay?

(8 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Sun 14-Feb-16 21:17:16

I've found some hudsons I love but they have a leather sole. I can't find much info about what to do with leather soles. How do they wear? I've never re soled a pair of shoes in my life so no idea what to expect. I wondered whether I should be having rubber soles put on esp given the rain we get all the time. Can anyone offer any advice or your experience of leather soled shoes please? I'm not sure I understand the point of them!

AmberNectarine Sun 14-Feb-16 21:43:33

Yes, extremely wise. I do this with all my high end shoes. Usually around £15 but prolongs their life hugely!

CalicoBlue Sun 14-Feb-16 22:16:54

Yes, I have had leather soled boots resoled with rubber. Makes them last longer.

I have just had to retire a black suede pair of boots, have had them resoled about 4 times, in 8 years.

keeponkeepinon Sun 14-Feb-16 22:36:14

So what would happen if it was left? Just keep wearing away until there was no sole? I honestly don't get why soling with leather is useful at all.
Where do you take them, and do they strip away some of the sole before attaching the rubber pr just stick it on the existing surface?
I wondered if it would affect the look of the shoe in any way?

louloubelle2 Sun 14-Feb-16 23:06:51

In my experience they will put a rubber sole over the leather one, covering two thirds of the sole from the toe towards the heel, then on the heel. I have it done with a lot of my shoes and it has never ruined the look. They use a thickness of leather to suit the shoe e.g. I had some Valentino flat rock studs resoled, the original leather sole is paper thin and the toe started to wear after just one wear.

It used to be totally normal to clean and re-heel and sole shoes, I clearly remember my dad cleaning and polishing all the family shoes religiously at the weekend. A very sad reflection on today's throwaway disposable society. The number of people I know who don't even wipe the sort off boots, then chuck them after a couple of months wear is astonishing.

louloubelle2 Sun 14-Feb-16 23:07:54

Dirt not sort!

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sun 14-Feb-16 23:50:47

I usually put non skid pads in leather soles which can get slippery. I buy them on Amazon (shoe repairers used to sell them but I guess there's more profit in resoling a shoe), peel off the back and stick them to the sole of the shoe.

polyhymnia Mon 15-Feb-16 12:41:13

I always have leather soles soled with rubber to prolong life and make them less slippy. The £12 mentioned sounds about right,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now