Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to wear at weekends? In a style rut.

(10 Posts)
workshyfop Sun 18-Oct-15 13:25:25

I work full-time and pretty much have work clothes sorted, but feel stuck in a rut and frumpy at weekends. Tend to default to slim/skinny jeans & Breton or similar. So bored of it. What alternative looks could I go for? I'm an apple shape with big boobs, size 14 bottom & 16 top. I don't even know where to shop for casual clothes anymore. Anyone similar shape to me.....where do you shop? I'm early forties btw.

MuttonCadet Sun 18-Oct-15 13:28:05

I live in mint velvet on the weekends. "Relaxed glamour" (apparently). Seriously it's comfortable and slightly more stylish / less mumsy than boden etc.

workshyfop Sun 18-Oct-15 13:31:26

Thanks Mutton will take a look. Less mumsy than Boden is what I'm after.

workshyfop Sun 18-Oct-15 14:04:48

Looked at mint velvet, I like that look, I will try a few of the tops I think to see if they suit my shape. Only thing is they are all silver/grey. Any other recommendations?

MuttonCadet Sun 18-Oct-15 14:16:56

Linea weekend usually have some nice pieces, or "pure" for cashmere sweaters.

Nearlyadoctor Sun 18-Oct-15 14:45:38

I wear a lot of Mint Velvet, also Hush with occasional bits from White Company and White Stuff ( not their garish patterns).

workshyfop Sun 18-Oct-15 16:58:10

Thanks. Will look at those. Any advice on the type of thing that would suit me? I'm totally stuck in a jeans and boring striped top hole atm. I like the look of leggings/skinniest knee boots and a long top but my hips are my slimmest bit and long tops can make me look massive. Tent-like with my big boobs.

louloubelle2 Sun 18-Oct-15 17:29:48

if you feel comfortable in the basic shape i.e. Slim bottom and looser top and it suits your shape then stick with it. If you gravitate towards trainers/converse, swap to ankle boots (ash jalouse style with a little heel, or Chelsea boot maybe). Or change to trainers if you go for boots. What sort of jacket do you wear, how about a longline boyfriend style cardigan, or a fitted collarless jacket. Or brogues or loafers?

Change the Breton for a slim crew neck merino jumper (£25 in Gap at the mo, or something like the J Crew Tippi style). With or without a shirt underneath with the coller and hem sticking out ( you can buy layering tops just with a collar and hem so you don't see the bumps of the buttons). Or a sweatshirt. Or a plain but textured jersey top (I'm looking at ones from Cos on my shelf).

Instead of denim jeans, how about coated jeans, or skinny cargo trousers, or p/leather jeans or leggings. Lengthen your looser top with a longline tight jersey layer under if you don't like the top of leggings.

Instead of trousers totally, a p/leather above knee skirt and ankle boots and opaques. I'm not hugely inspired by skirts generally though this winter as it's very 70s trend led and I don't think that's hugely wearable, well not for the weekend activities I do anyway.

Shops? in addition to the above try Cos and Jigsaw, and J Crew. In fact, if you can't stretch to J Crew, take a look at their site, their lookbooks are excellent and putting together outfit is you might not think of.

louloubelle2 Sun 18-Oct-15 17:31:03

Also Uniqlo.

workshyfop Sun 18-Oct-15 17:50:28

Thanks Loulou. Loads to think about there. Been living in converse so need some boots for winter anyway. I've been wearing a Barbour style waxed jacket recently. Where can you get the collar and hem layering tops, I think that might work for me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now