Talk

Advanced search

I have been throwing away my makeup. Am I mad?

(10 Posts)
CopaBanana Wed 05-Aug-15 10:50:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nabootique Wed 05-Aug-15 11:03:12

I think you're in good company. FrugalFashionista has a kondo-ing (de-cluttering) thread and IPokeBadgers has a thread about using up your beauty hoard! We're all at it!

I'm slowing thinning out my skincare products, which is my personal addiction, but I have loads of make up too, and it's the hardest thing to get through for me. Like you, I have loads of coloured eye make up and although I do love it when I can be bothered to put it on I only do so on a very rare night out, so getting through it is a very slow process.

dexter73 Wed 05-Aug-15 11:24:26

I think it is a good idea. I have 3 lipsticks/gloss, 1 mascara, 2 eyeliners, 4 eyeshadows, 1 blusher, 1 bronzer, 1 concealer and a foundation. It is great as I don't have to wade through tonnes of stuff to find what I want.

Dukketeater Wed 05-Aug-15 11:37:26

Mad. I turfed all of mine that I wasn't using and bow regret it as fashions change sad

BabCNesbitt Wed 05-Aug-15 11:56:32

Copa, did this article say what she was using to look fab in 5 minutes? I think it'd take sandblasting longer than 5 minutes to make me look anything approaching fabulous.

burnishedsilver Wed 05-Aug-15 12:08:21

If you've got make up that you rarely use its probably expired anyway. If you put a partially used lipstick away and leave it to fester for 2 years do you really want it near your mouth again?

hillyhilly Wed 05-Aug-15 12:17:50

I have an old toiletries bag that I put stuff in that I'm not using, and I try to keep the bare minimum to hand for everyday use.
I do occasionally go back to the older stuff and my DD is now 10, I envisage that she may enjoy it in a couple of years time.
I do not believe personally in makeup going off, I have lipsticks and eyeshadows plus pencils that I'd had at least a decade with no issues, the only thing I have found to to go it mascara and YSL Touche Eclat which both end up smelling a bit funny.

FrugalFashionista Wed 05-Aug-15 12:22:25

I am mostly going the using up route but binning is the answer for products that I know for sure I will never wear again or that feel just atrocious to wear. In your case it seems smart to declutter.

Today I am binning a hardened blusher (hit the pan years ago, what remains is not worth my time, never liked it that much to start with).

Persisting can sometimes be worthwhile. I have rediscovered lipsticks in my stash that I had given up on but that have become favorites. I have a fuchsia Lily Lolo lipstick that feathers like crazy but clear lipliner fixes it. The shade is terrific for my coloring and I have nothing quite like it. I've also started to choose an eye palette that I commit to wearing for a month, I don't get bored and they get rotated and I look more polished. Win-win wink

Using up because is making me think twice before I make frivolous purchases. I no longer buy makeup as a spontaneous pick-me-up.

burnishedsilver Wed 05-Aug-15 12:32:42

I think that dry powdery things last a long time but I'm not so keen on keeping anything moist lying around for years.

SpecificOcean Wed 05-Aug-15 13:06:49

I always use up mascara quickly because I wear it everyday, so only have 1 on the go.
I got rid of all my lipsticks as I only wear lip gloss now- I had about 5.
I do like eye shadow palettes though as I change the colours with the seasons and have darker stuff for doing smoky eyes for going out at night. I wont use the ones I use regularly up for ages.
Apart from that I only have 1 blusher and a brow pencil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now