Talk

Advanced search

Ageing hipsters...help! Need a dress for my 50th

(32 Posts)
MrsCocoa Sun 14-Jun-15 22:08:44

Having a low-key party - with dancing. Finding it all a bit difficult to get to grips with. Have ended up with a bargainous VW Vera Wang dress from TK Maxx's clearance which is lovely but make me feel a bit sub-Carol Vordeman. Probably aiming more at a mid-point between Sophia Coppola and Patti Smith. So, any ideas? Budget is restricted, and I'd rather buy glorious things secondhand than cheap 'n' nasty.

Am tall and statuesque with dark hair and winter colouring. Your help is very much appreciated....

Pantsalive Mon 15-Jun-15 17:07:45

It sounds like you need the other VW - Vivienne Westwood. Perfect for understated edginess. There are usually a few on ebay. What size are you and what's the budget?

You could always sell the Vera.

NomiMalone Mon 15-Jun-15 17:16:30

I'm in love with this.

On the right lines or way off?

squoosh Mon 15-Jun-15 18:00:47

If Sophia Coppola had to stick to a high street budget I reckon she'd shop at Cos.

www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Dresses

NomiMalone Mon 15-Jun-15 18:03:53

Every single dress on that page looks like the garb of a Mennonite butter churner.

squoosh Mon 15-Jun-15 18:08:20

Well yes...... I wouldn't wear them, but Sophia would!

This one in particular is very Soviet dental nurse circa 1974.

MrsCocoa Mon 15-Jun-15 18:38:35

Thanks All - just back from work, and running out the door again in a mo, but you're on the right lines with the All Saints. Tried looking for the other VW on Ebay without much success at the weekend. Can't get onto the Cos site at the moment.

Re: Soviet dental nurse - you have me sussed! And my taste in shoes is decidedly orthopedic. But might be a bit daytime?

Size 12-14 and budget is £100 or less!

Floisme Mon 15-Jun-15 18:44:57

I think even Sophia would dress up for her 50th grin

Love the All Saints dress.

Completely irrelevant but I saw Patti Smith in real life a couple of years ago and she looked fantastic. Photos don't do her justice at all. Very funny too.

FauxFox Mon 15-Jun-15 19:12:36

anglomania
biba
Fenn Wright Mason
hallhuber
label lab
sinequanone
whistles

Catswiththumbs Mon 15-Jun-15 19:24:14

I have that all saints dress, I love it. I wore it with these shoes www.kurtgeiger.com/kookie-black-leather-37-carvela-kurt-geiger-shoe.html
And pink/purple ombré lipstick.

MrsCocoa Mon 15-Jun-15 21:43:47

Thanks all for the inspiration. This would be ideal but out of stock in my size.

LettuceLaughton Mon 15-Jun-15 22:07:45

That's lovely - they might still have your size in store somewhare. Is always worth asking.

These probably don't quite match up
black
black
black
a beauty
KVish?

MrsCocoa Mon 15-Jun-15 22:46:55

Have just googled Mennonite butter churners. Think that's a little harsh on Cos, but Nomi, you're right, if it looks like it might work in an unmodernised dairy, it's probably not quite right...

Have been looking at more Sofia Coppola pictures and have become thoroughly besotted. Not sure now if I want to be her or elope with her...

But it's helped me refine the frock brief: effortlessly cool, with suggestions of an interesting life!

tethersend Mon 15-Jun-15 22:49:52

What size are you?

Any good?

MrsCocoa Mon 15-Jun-15 22:52:12

Thanks Lettuce - love the Malene Birger. Sadly also out of stock in my size otherwise would've been tempted.

MrsCocoa Mon 15-Jun-15 22:57:57

Tethersend - the Helmut Lang dress is absolutely gorgeous, hope it fits someone here so I can enjoy vicariously!

I'm a strapping 5' 10", size 12-14 with huge shoulders, good legs (and slightly dodgy looking upper arms..).

tethersend Mon 15-Jun-15 22:58:55

Other stories

MrsCocoa Mon 15-Jun-15 23:31:48

Love the colour Tethersend - wondering if there might be just a bit too much of it?

Those of you who directed me to The Outnet may be responsible for my family living on baked beans until August.

Pantsalive Tue 16-Jun-15 11:00:34

A couple more thoughts:
Nothing else you like at All saints? I would have thought that was the right vibe.

Anything at Finery?

Mint Velvet?

Have you looked at Label Lab? I particularly like this one (although it may be trying a bit too hard) and this one

I think insouciance is the word of the day.

MrsCocoa Tue 16-Jun-15 21:58:44

Thanks for the suggestions Pants. Quite a lot of All Saints dresses are just too short (because I am tall).

Found this in black. What do you think? (Apologies if anyone has already suggested - getting a bit dizzy with possibilities).

Yes, insouciance, is a good word. But I struggle to do nonchalantly stylish, without defaulting back into something black and stretchy from the back of the wardrobe.

LettuceLaughton Tue 16-Jun-15 22:14:49

That's bound to be beautiful on, she's hard to beat. Order it quick! It's lethal to link to low-stock-fab-stuff one here - the feckers buy the lot in no time shock You can always return if it doesn't suit (I assume).

LettuceLaughton Wed 17-Jun-15 08:11:46

...and it's sold out. Hope you got in in timesmile

MrsCocoa Wed 17-Jun-15 22:25:37

shock You weren't wrong about that. Sadly I dithered.

SaveOurBogBrushes Wed 17-Jun-15 23:31:12

www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Dresses/71DJL/Carlotta+Cupro+Dress.htm Not sure what the quality will be like but thought it worth a shot

ThreeFrazzledFandangos Wed 17-Jun-15 23:42:00

I'd never heard of finery before but I loooove this.

Unfortunately I have enormous norks and would look like a perfect cube in it. Sob.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now