Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Getting your hair done at a College salon?

(9 Posts)
VodkaValiumLattePlease Fri 23-Jan-15 21:25:39

Anyone had any experiences of getting your hair done at a college salon?

Moneys a bit tight at the moment and my hair looks a state!

Thanks

MamaLazarou Fri 23-Jan-15 21:31:03

I had mine done at the Vidal Sassoon academy a few years ago and it was a fairly decent cut but they took all afternoon about it.

My husband went to Alan D on Smithfield st (£5 for women, £2.50 for men) and it's the best haircut he has ever had!

IvyMay Fri 23-Jan-15 21:41:54

I've done it and it's fine. Caveats are;

It takes ages - much longer than normal appointment
My hair is straight and thick and I've only done it for easy styles - the sort where you just want a trim, not a whole new set of layers putting in or anything
Where I go there are 2 "grades” of trainees - not sure how long the courses are but the equivalent of either a first year trainee or second year trainee - it's only a little more expensive for the second year one and I've always gone for that.

I don't use them anymore - have found a great local hairdresser who is reasonably priced and much prefer to use her. But having said that, the cuts I got from the college were perfectly fine, especially when I couldn't justify spending much on "luxuries"

mynameissecret Fri 23-Jan-15 21:58:16

I got mine done at a college last year. Got a third year who had been hairdressing for 4 years before going to college, for a full restyle. Best hair cut I've ever had! Also the only place I've ever been that they've not looked scared when I've said do what you want!!

DeanKoontz Fri 23-Jan-15 21:59:52

Agree with pp.

Takes all day but best haircut I've ever had.

CatsClaus Fri 23-Jan-15 22:07:27

yes..takes all bleeding morning, but they are well supervised and usually a bit too scared to be chatty

try to get the second years if you want highlights/foils, just as they usually have real jobs too and are speedier....in fact you can often get a colour and a trim with them

but do check the prices, our local college are very reasonable, I once paid the princely sum of £17...dd and I both went, cut blow dry each, she had a temp colour and i had two colour, full head highlights

a friend in the next county used to pay a good deal more £30 I think for a cut and full colour. and still be sat there all morning

samesizetoes Fri 23-Jan-15 22:16:37

I've often found that the students and their tutors will listen to you and try to stick to your instructions rather than a stylist at a regular salon doing what they think you should have as opposed to what you actually asked for.

I've used 4-5 different colleges over the years and always happy with the result, even if it does a little longer than usual.

mandy214 Fri 23-Jan-15 22:23:01

Have been doing this for a while - in fact I've been today! There are 2 different grades of trainees - 2nd years and 3rd years. They often work 3 or 4 days in a salon, and then one day in college.

You are right though that it takes a long time, but I was supplied with coffee and magazines throughout. I had half a head of highlights (although its more like a full head they put so many foils through it) and a fab cut. £24. My appointment was 9.45 and I was done at 13.45. So 4 hours. But I am a mother of 3. I never get any time to sit and just read or make chit chat with a lovely bloke (who gave me a fab head massage too) so what's not to like smile?

VodkaValiumLattePlease Fri 23-Jan-15 22:33:34

Oh I don't mind it taking a while! Especially with a nice brew

The salon near me does either apprentice or graduate so I think I'm going to go for the graduate option.

Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: