Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Short hair and glasses = Sue Perkins?

(15 Posts)
Justputyourshoesonnow Sun 18-Jan-15 19:32:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Justputyourshoesonnow Sun 18-Jan-15 22:13:23

TheMightyMing Sun 18-Jan-15 22:34:18

Know what you mean, I have the same glasses and my hair is like that. I like it short but I would like something a bit different next time.

Just my opinion but I feel like many women get to a certain age and decide they're going to chop all their hair off, and unless they have the feminine bone structure to carry it off, they look like Sue Perkins at best, a man at worst!

Please don't be offended, it's just how I feel. Not a fan of short hair.

If you're bored of your hair you could try doing something with the texture, highlights, lowlights, maybe even a perm! I've heard they're better these days. confused

Silverjohnleggedit Mon 19-Jan-15 08:34:34

Short hair needs strong make up and then it can look fantastic. Imo, Sue Perkins looks great, I'd be more worried about stepping into Pat Butcher territory.

burnishedsilver Mon 19-Jan-15 08:47:55

I cut mine short and spent the next two years growing it back. It had to be styled all the time which meant washing it every day. I had to make a bigger effort over all to carry it off. It was too much work.

Going short at the back and keeping more length at the front might keep it from going Sue Perking.

itsnothingoriginal Mon 19-Jan-15 14:19:58

Ooh yes I want to do this to my hair too and have the same worries! What's your face shape like OP? I think this has a lot to do with whether short hair looks great.. or not!

Did anyone see Dr Tanya Byron's hair on that diet programme recently? I quite like it - it's quite like the hairstyle burnishedsilver posted above..

Is this Pinterest board any good? I love my short hair tbh, and don't plan to grow it back any time soon, Sue Perkins or not.

Silverjohnleggedit Mon 19-Jan-15 14:42:25

Remus great board! I have to stop looking though because I'll get drawn in - I love cropped hair.

Justputyourshoesonnow Mon 19-Jan-15 16:00:28

StrikesMatches Mon 19-Jan-15 16:08:33

I have rectangular dark tortoise-shell-esque glasses and short hair. I brought pics of Jenna Elfman and Robin Wright as my inspiration (although my hair is mid brown --grey roots--). I love it and have got loads of compliments since I got the chop.

And most days I don't bother with make up, and seem to get away with it wink

BestIsWest Mon 19-Jan-15 22:02:18

I have short hair and specs and I love it. I can't do earrings as well though as I have a real fear of the Su Pollard effect.

TheMightyMing Mon 19-Jan-15 23:18:17

Best - oh yeah I am very careful on the earring factor now I have short hair , studs only no danglers. Very bad look otherwise.

Studs or v delicate danglers, plus makeup seems to be the key. Not that I always follow it.

chockbic Tue 20-Jan-15 16:47:38

A layered bob looks good. You can slick it back so it appears shorter or use sea spray for more texture.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: