Talk

Advanced search

French plaits. Impissible...!

(28 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Thu 01-Jan-15 21:36:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LemonBreeland Thu 01-Jan-15 21:41:21

I have only learned to do them in the past year. However I have now cut my hair too short for it. I do find them very tricky to do on myself. I can do them on others thouh. Maybe it would be easier for you to practise on someone else.

I also think hair type makes a difference. DD has very fine straight hair and it's difficult to do.

18yearstooold Thu 01-Jan-15 21:43:50

I can do them on myself but struggle on other people

Fine hair into a French plait is a nightmare

I find thick hair with some texture is the easiest to do it with

Mintyy Thu 01-Jan-15 21:45:47

I can't do them either.

Feel like I'm failing my dd as a mother sad.

I've tried and tried but they're just impossible!

milkjetmum Thu 01-Jan-15 21:48:12

My advise is remembering it's only the surface that needs to look neat, you can have unplaited hair hidden underneath. So when bringing in new hair just bring a small part from the hairline, and let it cover up hair growing from the back of the head. Hard to explain in text, but if you are trying to bring in too much hair you are making in hard on yourself.

I think fishtails are easier and can look very nice.

Otherwise it's just practice and a cooperative dd. damp hair gives good results too. I have always had short hair so all I know is from YouTube and practice!

EBearhug Thu 01-Jan-15 21:59:19

I can do them on myself, but they don't hold well, as my hair is fine and smooth, and it just slips out again. Also, it makes my arms ache by about half way through.

I think I could do one on someone else, but I've never tried. I find them easier than fishtails, but that's probably because I've been able to do a French plait since the 1980s, and I only learnt to do a fishtail about 2 months ago.

PrimalLass Thu 01-Jan-15 22:05:47

Practise on something like a doll styling head? I had a pony <stealth brag> when I was little so perfected French pleats by doing her tail.

Chippednailvarnish Thu 01-Jan-15 22:21:18

My poor DD is destined to spend her childhood looking like Stig of the dump!

She has a lovely mixture of hair that is straight like her DGF's Chinese hair but fine like her Caucasian DGM's. Plaiting it is a nightmare. French plaits are just a fantasy!

honeypie10 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:44:22

There is a thing in superdrug that helps you out, No idea if it works or not I was just looking at it the other day.

this is the one I saw, I cant find it on the Superdrug website but they defiantly had them in. I can only do them on my own hair and only the type where the plait sticks out so a backward plait hmm.

dalekanium Thu 01-Jan-15 22:53:46

'honey that is a Dutch plait

burnishedsilver Thu 01-Jan-15 23:06:24

Lift the amount of hair that is in the picture. Pretend you are doing a regular plait in only that section but add some extra hair each time to the third that you are about to move.

If I can do it anyone can.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Thu 01-Jan-15 23:10:54

Agree that it's not easy on straight fine hair, I can do it easily on my wild unruly mop but find it hard on DD's fine straight hair which slips and slides everywhere.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Thu 01-Jan-15 23:14:46

I do mine all the time to go to the gym. Lift hair from your crown, divide into three as normal. I do one "round" of normal plaiting to anchor the plait to my head. Then, as you take each section from the side across to the middle, you just scoop up extra hair from the side. So it's just like normal plaiting really but you add hair to each side section before you cross it to the middle. My hair is long, fine and straight.

Glitterkitten24 Thu 01-Jan-15 23:14:51

I can't do them- however I was grumping about this to my hairdresser, who recommended not watching yourself do it- I.e remember the pattern, just do it by feel rather than trying to watch where each strand goes and muddling yourself.
My hair is too short to try out this advice now, but I fully intend to try it when trying to French plait my (growing out) fringe back shortly!

GaryBaldy Thu 01-Jan-15 23:27:49

Have a look at this video

My friend uses use those toe nail varnish separator things to put the hair in on her DD.

fukkigucci Thu 01-Jan-15 23:34:47

You have to master using your baby fingers to scoop up the next section of hair. Helps if you have long nails. Also, a fishtail braid is easier once you get the hang of it.

PrimalLass Thu 01-Jan-15 23:44:39

Good gracious that looks more complicated.

OrangesLemons Thu 01-Jan-15 23:49:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Thu 01-Jan-15 23:52:09

I do it with my thumb and first two fingers, never tried using little fingers. Hold with one hand, add a bit more hair with the other, switch hands as you plait it in.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Thu 01-Jan-15 23:52:36

French plait that is, don't know what a fishtail is.

Chippednailvarnish Thu 01-Jan-15 23:54:46

The lady who posted this in response to Richard Crow's arseyarsey FB message, is now apparently getting racist abuse;

"Ok seriously Richard, you've donated your 'every waking hour' - yeah no that's not really going to cut it. And I don't feel the need to donate a penny at this stage until I get clear and concise clarification about where my cash is going to be utilised. Also seeing as you're spearheading this campaign on behalf of your friends and asking people to give their money without question surely you should be the first to put your hand in your pocket seeing as it's for such a good cause and that.....

I'd also like to reiterate that I have nothing but good wishes for baby Dax and his parents. They've got a little fighter and he's going to come on in leaps and bounds. smile
I just think this whole money asking has been very poorly handled especially with the reference to paying for tickets so family can visit, breasts pumps and even new underwear. The mind boggles."

She's spot on with her comments...

Chippednailvarnish Thu 01-Jan-15 23:56:39

Whoops wrong thread!

EBearhug Fri 02-Jan-15 00:26:29

This is how I learnt to do a fishtail, though to be honest, now I can do it, that makes it sound more complicated than it is.

Basically, you split your hair into two sides, then take a small bit from one side, take it under the whole lot, and back over the top into the middle from the opposite side, then repeat on alternating sides. Might be easier to watch a video, though.

JenniMoo Fri 02-Jan-15 08:54:08

I have to 'French plait' DDs hair to keep the top bits in but can't do it! I cheat and start as if French plaiting then just plait to the point the hair meets the neck before gathering the rest in and plaiting the lot to the ends. Doesn't look as good but works for practical purposes, and not too obvious with her super thick curly hair.
This thread inspired me to try the fishtail today, and I've managed to do it the same way, doing a section at the top then continuing with all the hair when I get a way down. I'm hoping it stays up as I think it could really suit her hair's naturally messy look.

Taffeta Fri 02-Jan-15 09:03:54

DD has very fine, straight slippery hair. She knows anything more than a ponytail ain't never going to happen with this useless mother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now