Talk

Advanced search

fashion for redheads

(25 Posts)
derrion123 Tue 11-Nov-14 21:16:23

Hi, I'm new to Mumnets and wanted to ask other parents of redhead children their thoughts on the use of the word ginger. I'm a ginger (although its gone dark, dull and boring with age) and I celebrate it. My youngest daughter also has the most beautiful ginger hair. I want to set up an online clothing store especially for redhead children and I want to use the word ginger in the business name (Little Ginger Folk). As a bit of market research (if this is allowed) would you let me know your thoughts on this name.
Thanks

CoconutAmericano Tue 11-Nov-14 21:34:21

As a red haired woman and the parent of a red haired child i can tell you now i wouldnt shop online for clothes aimed at red haired children. Why would I? My dd wears exactly the same clothes as most other toddlers regardless of their hair colour!! To me it seems like a way of instilling in red haired children that they are diffetent to other children and should shop separately to others. Or am i completely missing the point confused.
Oh and as tim minchin says, only a ginger can call another ginger ginger!

derrion123 Tue 11-Nov-14 21:45:31

Hi, thanks for your reply. I just find so much of what's on the market so boring and doesn't show off how beautiful red hair is, so sick of pale bloody pink! I don't mind being called ginger by anyone, but that's a funny saying. Thanks again, good to have an opinion from another parent

CoconutAmericano Tue 11-Nov-14 21:48:20

Honestly my dd's hair is so beautiful it's golden like the sun (as i'm sure your dd's is, i adore red hair). Whatever she wears she looks lovely. That's just my opinion tho. Good luck with your future business.

derrion123 Tue 11-Nov-14 22:04:09

I'm sure she does, it's impossible not to! Thanks for the well wishes :-)

burnishedsilver Wed 12-Nov-14 05:54:10

Maybe have something about Autumn colours in the name. It could be about the colour of the clothes rather than the colour of the customers.

Floisme Wed 12-Nov-14 06:54:31

I have a niece who has beautiful red hair but I'm afraid I wouldn't buy special clothes for her. I'm a complete cheapskate when it comes to kids' clothes because they get trashed so quickly. As a previous poster has said, that's just my opinion and I wish you luck.

noddyholder Wed 12-Nov-14 09:05:26

I have red hair and it's not something that requires special clothes!

ditavonteesed Wed 12-Nov-14 09:08:14

red hair does not require special clothes, red heads look amazing in everything.

tywysogesgymraeg Wed 12-Nov-14 09:16:45

I think you're at risk of being called discriminatory. Selling clothes for ginger haired people is no different from selling clothes for black skinned people or Chinese people etc.
I think you'd have to be very careful how you marketed your business.

I also don't think there's a market for what you're proposing though.

burnishedsilver Wed 12-Nov-14 09:55:35

I actually do thing there a market for it. Not aimed specifically at red heads but there's a market for something other than pink and purple for girls and something other than grey and navy for boys.

stripedtortoise Wed 12-Nov-14 10:00:50

I never get the 'I can only find pink for my girls and blue for my boys' thing. There are LOADS of places online you can buy gorgeous clothes in bright and varying colours for both sexes. Places like Boden? Can be expensive so I buy off EBay. I buy yellows, greens, reds etc for both sexes. Just stop shopping in boring Next!

To answer the OP, I don't think there is a market for this, sorry.

FergusSingsTheBlues Wed 12-Nov-14 13:51:51

I really don't encourage the word ginger as it gets bandied about as an insult...and that's in scotland...I bet it's worse doon sooth.

Also. Both my kids have red hair. One looks great in Reds, pinks, etc and the other can't wear it. They have totally different hair and skin tones....IMO you couldn't get away with colour coding redheads any more than you could on oen a shop for black haired people.

ZaraW Wed 12-Nov-14 14:00:13

There is a make up and henna shop specifically for people with red hair and I have used it for henna it is very good but I think that is one of the few exceptions. Yes ginger is an insult I have red hair and I hate the term.

Coconut there is a saying brunette hair looks like red hair in the sun, red hair in the sun looks like heaven or something like that smile

As a ginger myself along with many other family members I have no issue with the word ginger and laugh at the jokes but I'm bit taken back by need to have clothes shop just for kids with ginger hair. I think children suit all colours but its more to do with adult preference like I don't like dressing my DS in dark greens or yellows and he has darkish hair.

I do wish you success though in your buisness

GoldenGoat Wed 12-Nov-14 14:25:01

My favourite words to describe ginger hair are russet and titian although I don't think either of those describe more orange-shades.

However I agree with others that I wouldn't buy clothes from a ginger dedicated store. However I would be interested in information on things that suit red heads so maybe your business could take more of a lifestyle theme - lots of pictures of seasonal outfits that suit redheads, hair maintenance etc and then sell associated products if that makes sense.

Floisme Wed 12-Nov-14 18:36:08

I've given the idea a thumbs down already but discriminatory? How? I don't think the op's planning on refusing to serve non red heads!

tywysogesgymraeg Thu 13-Nov-14 00:01:26

She's aiming the shop particularly at redheads though.

Floisme Thu 13-Nov-14 06:54:03

Women's clothes are particularly aimed at women. Is that discriminatory too?

tywysogesgymraeg Thu 13-Nov-14 10:34:34

No. Perhaps I'm being over cautious then blush. I don't really think it's discriminatory, but just about everything else seems to be discriminatory against one minority group or other these days, I thought I'd suggest that shops and clothes just for ginger haired people might be too.

MelanieCheeks Thu 13-Nov-14 13:27:10

Strawberry Blonde is a nice euphemisim, which would also make a good name.

ZaraW Thu 13-Nov-14 14:14:25

Or maybe you can say red haired people instead of ginger?

noddyholder Thu 13-Nov-14 14:18:26

Whats wrong with ginger? All my mates call me ginger

ZaraW Thu 13-Nov-14 14:31:23

Noddy depends what your experiences are when I have been called ginger in the past it has been used in an insulting way. Nobody shouts or comments at people with blonde, black or brunette hair but find it perfectly acceptable to do it to people with red hair.

CoconutAmericano Thu 13-Nov-14 14:53:12

When my friend recently had her baby her dh thought he "was a ginger". She said "we nearly put him back in ha ha". This to a red haired person, whose dd has red hair! My other friend told me she thought her child had some golden in his hair. "We call him our ginger minger ha ga". This is the kind of shit we have to listen to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now