Talk

Advanced search

Dress A Feminist (AKA a cry for help)

(97 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gaggiagirl Sat 08-Nov-14 14:34:05

Would you wear cosy tights? There is no thread I haven't recommended fleece lined tights on this week grin

gaggiagirl Sat 08-Nov-14 14:45:37

Hmm....... How about a Jersey unstructured shoulder pad-less blazer, plain or printed? A dust jacket/kimono over a plain vest or tee shirt?
What footwear are you leaning towards?
Someone more stylish than me will be along soon to help!

WildBillfemale Sat 08-Nov-14 14:56:45

If you are blond with big norks then you need to distract from this a little. Tie hair back, wear nothing too figure hugging.
Glasses can add gravitas
unstructured jacket
Tailored skirt - nothing above the knee
No jewellry just a watch
heels but not too high - nothing too eye catching.

gaggiagirl Sat 08-Nov-14 15:04:06

Plain grey or black unstructured blazer. Try gap and new look. Are you cool skin toned? If you aren't sure put something cream coloured near your face in good light and check the mirror. Look at your face, repeat with something white.
Which looks best? If it's white your cool toned so try jewel toned colours red, emerald, cobalt,burgundy.silver.
If cream looks best you are warm toned. Think gold, coral, orange,camel.
Replace those boots.
Skinny trousers in any colour look great with ballet pumps, I prefer pointy ones although I live in Dr Martens these days.
Statement necklace.
Call into the Bobby Brown concessions for eyeshadow and inspiration.

Sorry that's just a list but it's a starting point.

elQuintoConyo Sat 08-Nov-14 15:06:00

Paperbag? Same colour as office walls?

I'd go all mute colours in tailored styles with interesting shoes and Desigual bag. Go with two colours for your clothes, another colour (that complements, not clashes) in your shoes/handbag/stud earrings.
Whatever you wear you must be comfortable in, of course, not just mentally but physically - I can't stand seeing women constantly hoisting bra strap/pulling up trousers/fiddling with bits of blouse. An I cannot stand ucomfortable clothes either.

OwlCapone Sat 08-Nov-14 15:11:08

Does a feminist dress differently to an ordinary female?

gaggiagirl Sat 08-Nov-14 15:15:16

Yes owl they wear slogan t shirts that say " this princess saves herself" grin

MrPop Sat 08-Nov-14 15:27:28

This blog is worth a look. Hopefully Belinda herself will come over to advise.

VikingLady Sat 08-Nov-14 15:34:10

After years if working in sexist offices in the NE.... Trousers, and tops that are not too low cut. No visible undies. Heels or otherwise don't make much difference as long as they are practical, as extra height really does help but "girliness" doesn't!

I did find fitted jackets and tips were fine as long as there was no cleavage on show. I had a bravissimo figure too!

IHateHelloKitty Sat 08-Nov-14 15:39:53

I think we are quite the same build, so here is what I would go for:
- black stilettos, slightly higher heel than average
- black opaque tights
- round neck, mid-thigh black or deep grey dress with a nice cut and fabric like wool or silk
- colored blazer: soft pink or electric blue or any other "statement" color. Zara has very nice ones at the moment. You can also go for yellow if you use grey dress/tights
- chunky bracelet
- scarf or long necklace

That is my conference speaker uniform. The best part of it is that you probably already own half of those.

gaggiagirl Sat 08-Nov-14 15:47:39

Viking same here! And I still do work in said sexist office. I have a skirt that is flippy/pleated? And the men in my office always make lecherous "ooh you look like a school girl" type comments it makes me sick. I would live to be able to wear a skirt to work without having men buzzing round me like flies on shit.
I'm no oil painting by the way. I'm just the only skirt wearing woman in the building.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 08-Nov-14 15:51:14

Jersey dresses, wrap with a camisole or LK Bennett with a gather at the side but a scoop neck. See John Lewis which carries phase eight/Gerry Webber/coast etc.

They are comfy for teaching, sitting down and runninh tutor groups and 'give' for moving about. Structured tailoring is too unyielding for teaching.

Flattish boots, smart - like riding ones.

Either a soft Jersey jacket, a smarter cardigan if your office is casual or a leather jacket if you want to zhoosh it up.

A scarf and simple but lovely jewellery

A good bag that you like

No ageing hippy or art teacher layers, no per Una.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 08-Nov-14 16:01:33

Well, Gillian Anderson's outfits in the fall (pencil skirt and silk blouse) were gorgeous and definitely serious without falling back on the trouser suit cliche of "powerful woman"

Dress?

ThisBitchIsResting Sat 08-Nov-14 16:10:09

Ah here you are! grin

Lovely colour dress
Banana Republic

ThisBitchIsResting Sat 08-Nov-14 16:13:14

I'm a big fan of dresses for work as you just throw them on with tights and a smart jacket if you want, job done.

I don't 'do' accessories either and prefer a simple look. Hobbs, Cos, Jaeger, Banana Republic, Laura Ashley, Phase Eight all have good dresses which can be bunged in the washing machine and not ironed (my criteria).

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 08-Nov-14 16:17:32

Definitely look at Belinda's brilliant blog for ideas of work appropriate outfits so no bras or knickers on show wink

But otherwise, well wear what suits you and you feel comfortable in.

I like J crew tippi jumpers for work (fairly casual environment) with then either slim fitting trousers or a pencil skirt.

Good bag and shoes and subtle but nice accessories are good. Hobbs have some nice shoes at the moment - I'm loving suede at the moment.

these would work with some nice slim fitting trousers of which gap do many variations.

I also like a silk shirt as Families mentioned and silk also good if your office is very hot.

Dresses also good as require no real thought once you've found some decent ones. If you have a Cos nearby they have many good options for chic workwear.

Do let your personality still show through and please don't try to dress like a man.

CaptainJaneSafeway Sat 08-Nov-14 16:18:54

If you like simple plain things you might get inspirations from the dress like an architect thread - it gave me some good ideas.

Things like simple, monochrome but nice quality plain tops, jackets, shift dresses and classic-cut straight trousers. Your colouring would work with classy grey and taupe shades, cream, charcoal or black and then add a bit of your preferred colours with a scarf, simple necklace. With big norks look at crossover front/wrap dresses, deep v and scoop necks or V-neck cardies with a cami, and things that belt around the waist (so for example plain wool trousers, silky cami, V-neck wrap cardie with waist tie, with ankle boots). Or maybe a simple print dress with a gathered waist, with tights and boots, cardie or jacket. A maxi cardigan can look great with wools trousers and plain top.

Cos is a great shop for all these plain simple styles and also the occasional modern print and bright accessories. Also (bear with me) look at All Saints – if you can steer clear of the more gothy and weirdly structured things, they often have simple tops, dresses and knitwear in beautiful quality fabrics. Other shops to try Hobbs, Mint Velvet, Sandwich, Toast (all can be found in JL) – and White Stuff are good for flattering wool trousers.

Also agree with a fabulous bag to make any outfit get taken more seriously. It doesn't have to be designer-expensive but real leather with nice design and detail. JL will have lots.

tethersend Sat 08-Nov-14 16:19:14

What size are you?

Something like this with a cropped jacket would be lovely.

unclerory Sat 08-Nov-14 16:23:02

To carry authority you need the most expensive classic shoes you can afford, a good watch and a decent haircut. Then a simple tailored dress will look fine. Are you short? Buy from a petite range, because the clothes actually fit they immediately look better.

FaFoutis Sat 08-Nov-14 16:24:48

I'm in an arts dept so bohemian dress is almost a necessity to be taken seriously. High heels and polished look would not go down well.
At the moment I wear a knee length dress, linen or other unstructured jacket and knee high flat boots. Several long necklaces and lots of messy hair put up in a messy way. I'm the least scruffy in the whole department.

Bue Sat 08-Nov-14 16:30:59

Buffy I came over from your other thread. I share this problem. Unfortunately I wear scrubs to work, which give no opportunity to 'age' myself. So I have to rely on hair, makeup and what minimal accessories I can wear.

I think you are onto something with Bobbi Brown. I'm not sure if you find the same, but I look my youngest with a bare face. I had a full makeover at BB prior to my wedding and still wear a lot of the same products two years later. I would thoroughly recommend booking yourself in for a consultation (I think I just turned up at JL Oxford Street) and explaining that you're after a grown-up, polished look. They are very good and will be able to help you achieve this.

In your work environment, I think day dresses are your friend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now