Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a digital perm?

(21 Posts)
MildredH Mon 13-Oct-14 12:07:31

Following on from another thread.. I have shoulder length, fine, poker straight hair. Every day involves GHD's to either curl or put some kind of body to it as it's even too limp for a pony tail unless ends are curled.

Someone has mentioned a digital perm and ( possibly naively?) I think this could be what I am searching for..

Have read about Sali Hughes experience and would be tempted to use the salon she recommends as I am near London.

Has anyone had one of these of have any experience? The article says not for baby fine hair and I maybe unsuitable on this basis but am mightily tempted to go for the consultation..

ShoesAndPsychology Tue 14-Oct-14 02:08:24

Hi Mildred, checking in to see if anyone's had one- I posted the other thread. I've been researching, think I've found a decent salon that does digital perms about 20 miles from me. I'm going for a consultation so will keep you posted, I think we're fashion forward with this one! All MNs will have digital do's soon grin

minkah Tue 14-Oct-14 02:18:12

Any link to other thread for catch up?

kaykayblue Tue 14-Oct-14 12:21:05

Do some research online, and if you think it's worth it, try the consultation.

As I've said on the other thread, digital perming was pretty much invented for asian hair, which is completely different to Caucasian hair. I guess some salons might have worked out a way to adapt it, but it's certainly a bit hit and miss.

Even the asian women I know who have had it done don't come back with bit ringlet-esque curls or waves. Their hair just goes from absolutely poker straight, to hair with a slight wave in it.

TropicalHorse Tue 14-Oct-14 12:24:22

Permed fingers?!?

MildredH Tue 14-Oct-14 12:40:06

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2206910-Choppy-wavy-bobbed-perm-wanted?msgid=50081201#50081201

here is the previous thread..

MildredH Tue 14-Oct-14 12:40:59

Ooh how exciting Shoes.. Whereabouts are you going for consultation? ( could you PM me if you don't want to out your location).

Keep me posted!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 14-Oct-14 12:41:46

I think I'd be more inclined to invest in a really fantastic cut to ensure the hair looks like it has body and isn't limp. Also something like hair dust is incredible for adding volume.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Tue 14-Oct-14 12:47:14

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1973949-Squeeeee-Im-having-my-hair-permed-on-Friday

I knew there was a thread!

MildredH Tue 14-Oct-14 12:50:19

arghh- the OP doesn't come back with the outcome! ( maybe she was too busy frizz easing the Keegan?)

ShoesAndPsychology Wed 15-Oct-14 15:03:03

Been for digital perm consultation at Trevor Sorbie in Manchester. Positives: The woman was really nice & recons she can get my hair similar to what I'm looking for.
Negatives: it would still need styling by me to get the desired effect daily, I'd need to use hair curling cream & a diffuser (does anyone have a copy of the Argos catalogue circa 1989?) goodness knows where I'll get one!
So, booked in on Tuesday 28th, it takes 3hrs & I am very excited/ scared in equal measure confused

squoosh Wed 15-Oct-14 15:26:42

What happens after a couple of months when your hair has grown an inch, won't it be limp at the roots and then puff out like a mushroom?

Haggismcbaggis Wed 15-Oct-14 15:30:24

Diffusers are very easily available. Lots of hair dryers still come with.

ShoesAndPsychology Wed 15-Oct-14 15:35:14

Then I'll look like a fungi fun guy grin
I've had a quick look & I didn't realise how popular diffusers still are: quite cheap too! Brill

MildredH Wed 15-Oct-14 22:25:59

Oooooh shoes this is INORDINATELY exciting. Will you promise us before and after shots even if you look like a mushroom?

MildredH Wed 15-Oct-14 22:26:26

Sorry that was mean. You definitely won't look like a mushroom. Definitely.

MildredH Wed 15-Oct-14 22:27:53

Out of interest shoes- how thick/ fine is your hair?

How much are TS going to charge you?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 15-Oct-14 22:51:42

Try using a diffuser, it might work without the perm!

ShoesAndPsychology Thu 16-Oct-14 11:59:59

I could try s diffuser but it never curls. I have medium/fine hair, poker straight & oily roots blush the stylist I saw is middle aged & did loads of perms when they were 'in' so she seemed to know what she was talking about, she showed me photos on her phone of ones she's done (the whole process of it too) & i've decided if I'm getting it done I want her to do it. I think. Hmm, Mildred I'm too embarrassed to tell you the price, especially as it makes it even worse if it does turn out shiitake mushroom or just shit. I will post photos of before & after. Promise confused

ZaraW Fri 17-Oct-14 09:11:43

www.bodyconfidential.co.uk/Beauty/Digital-Perm-At-Trevor-Sorbie-2013

results look great

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 17-Oct-14 19:00:57

From that link I think it could look really ratty growing out. The comments are worrying too.

sorry to be so negative op,I just think you could get results like the link with good ghds. 250 is ridiculous money but I wouldn't go to TS as they cancelled appt TWICE!

BTW I don't think it's ridiculous money for something that looks amazing but I don't think it does tbh especially as you still have to use a diffuser.

Please post pics though if you have it done!grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: