Talk

Advanced search

Swedish, aromatherapy or hot stone massage?

(6 Posts)
BandersnatchCummerbund Wed 24-Oct-12 16:37:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PostBellumBugsy Wed 24-Oct-12 16:41:53

I think swedish massage is deep tissue massage, which is quite intense & can hurt a bit, but will get all the horrible knots out. Aromatherapy is just normal massage but with the fancypants oils - it won't be deep tissue massage like the Swedish one. Hot stone is usually, a bit of massage (just normal) followed by hot stones being smoothed over your back. It is very relaxing & I love it.
If your muscles are really knotted & painful, go for Swedish though.

ujjayi Wed 24-Oct-12 18:56:41

Unfortunately, the misuse and malpractice of aromatherapy in beauty salons and spas has led the public to believe that it is merely a bit of stroking with nice smelling oils whilst listening to whale music. I trained as an aromatherapist with the Tisserand Institute a few years ago and offered deep tissue massage as well as more relaxing Petrissage technique, both using essential oils. Deep tissue work is greatly enhanced by using oils such as black pepper which helps to stimulate circulation and lemongrass which helps the body break down lactic acid - the build up of which is one of the causes of muscular aches & pains. A good therapist will conduct a consultation to ascertain your needs and any possible contraindications/issues and will check that pressure etc is as you wish it to be throughout the treatment.

Personally not a huge fan of hot stone massage.

ninjanurse Wed 24-Oct-12 18:58:03

I love hot stone massages, but I am a big lover of heat and the feel of heat.

IslaValargeone Wed 24-Oct-12 18:58:14

I'd go for a swedish and get deknotted.

BandersnatchCummerbund Fri 26-Oct-12 00:27:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now