Talk

Advanced search

Is this dress smart enough for a wedding?

(13 Posts)
googietheegg Tue 20-Sep-11 16:05:19

Boden-tastic It's the purple one and it's a second wedding for an older couple, so I don't want to stand out too much in a fancy frock. I'm also 7 weeks pregnant so don't want to tell anyone but don't want anything too tight either...what d'you reckon?

BikeRunSki Tue 20-Sep-11 16:11:23

No really, and I am very casual!

Monty27 Tue 20-Sep-11 16:17:22

Is it that mustard one in purple?

googietheegg Tue 20-Sep-11 16:20:26

Yes, it's the mustard one in a sort of grape purple. I could wear smart boots and a long sleeved top underneath. It's only a small wedding and everyone except my DH & I will be 50 - 70 so I don't want to be too dolled up. I'm also flying and have just hand luggage, so if I wear this I can wear it again on the trip (seeing other people)

sue52 Tue 20-Sep-11 16:20:58

It's a nice dress but only okay for the most casual of weddings.

sue52 Tue 20-Sep-11 16:22:08

Just a word to the wise. 50-70 year olds get dolled up too.

ViolaTricolor Tue 20-Sep-11 16:23:23

Hmm I would say the corduroy fabric is a step too far towards the casual. And actually, I think older people might be more likely to be offended by insufficient smartness (which isn't the same things as being dolled up in my head). This may just be because of the 50-70 year olds I know. If it was wool I'd say fine.

BunnyLebowski Tue 20-Sep-11 16:25:48

Definitely too casual. Corduroy is not suitable for a wedding no matter how low key.

And with the boots + long sleeved top underneath it sounds more like an outfit for doing the shopping in than for attending a wedding.

BikeRunSki Tue 20-Sep-11 16:25:54

Yep, it was the cord that did it for me too.

Bangtastic Tue 20-Sep-11 16:29:00

No, honestly.. it's more weekend wear than wedding.

What about something like This? A bit smarter...

googietheegg Tue 20-Sep-11 16:36:02

OK, thanks all...I think I shall have a rethink as I don't want to look out of place. That one you linked too bang is lovely...

googietheegg Tue 20-Sep-11 16:37:21

I didn't mean to be rude about 50 - 70 year olds not getting dressed up, it's just that this is a very countryside wedding (not posh country) so I'm a bit lost style-wise.

googietheegg Tue 20-Sep-11 16:37:53

Can you wear boots at all to a wedding or should it be shoes? And does you bag have to be small? Sooo confused!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now