Talk

Advanced search

Need a whole new work wardrobe on a budget - anyone want to make me over?

(5 Posts)
cherriesblossom Sun 03-Jul-11 12:31:09

Have started a new managerial job in a children's centre. Love the job, it's a mix of very hands-on play sessions (sitting on the floor covered in glitter etc) and lots (and lots) of meetings.

This poses a dilemma of what to wear. I have been very casual (dresses/tunics over skinnies with ballet pumps) as the dress code is v. casual generally. BUT I am having the problem that cos I look quite young (28 but people always think am younger) I don't feel like I'm being taken seriously so am not getting the respect I would if I were 15 years older/a man/a qualified social worker etc.

So I figure I need to dress to impress. My budget is limited but I'd to invest in a few good pieces that can be mixed and matched. I don't want anything to tailored as it won't be appropriate and I can't really wear heels so...

I usually shop in Primark, New Look, H&M etc and have been looking in Zara, Warehouse etc but baulking abit about the prices..am not used to spending 50-60 on an individual item.

I quite like this kind of look www.next.co.uk/x472018s3 as it's smart but still pretty feminine. Any ideas please?

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Sun 03-Jul-11 12:53:02

You need to read some of the assertiveness threads ( do a search), then just take you clothes up a notch. It's worth buy a couple of good quality things that you can mixwith what you have already, like some thick jersey trousers and and expensive looking cardigan and some smart shoes

cybboid Sun 03-Jul-11 12:56:11

Why cant you wear your dresses but over nice leggings and just have some smarter (heeled) shoes to wear to meetings etc

A half decent statement necklace makes it look like you've made the effort too

cherriesblossom Sun 03-Jul-11 13:01:31

Thanks Joleeeeeeene (fab name btw) I will do that re: threads and defo wanna get some investment pieces.

Cybboid - I will, (well have to as can't afford whole new wardrobe!) but my dresses are kind of girlie and I don't think I'm giving off the right impression tbh.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Sun 03-Jul-11 13:09:21

Phase eight is good for work stuff and has a sale on at the moment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now