Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SALT recommended provision - pmsl

(10 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Mon 09-Nov-09 19:57:40

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 09-Nov-09 21:03:30

Message withdrawn

mrsjuan Mon 09-Nov-09 21:05:56

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that shock!

It depends on your area. We are really struggling with SALT provision atm - not enough funding for therapists - same story as lots of other areas of the NHS.

Sorry to say that according to that statement, in our area, at best, he'd get 10 sessions with a speech therapist (so less than once a month).

At worst he'd get one session with a speech therapist who would then write out a programme for either teacher or parent to follow. Hopefully the session with the SALT would be fairly early on in the year but unfortunately this was often not the case for us.

(Actually, reading it again, semantically, at worst he could get nothing but it can't be that bad can it?)

This statement has been a let down hasn't it sad. Sorry you are having a rough time.

daisy5678 Mon 09-Nov-09 21:09:51

He should get a 90 minute session every month except July and August but some of that might include liaison time.

I don't think it's a massive issue to change that, and probably one they'll compromise on (though I don't know how much you were expecting). That is quite a high allocation, would you believe, but obviously not if you wanted/ needed more.

'X will recieve no fewer than 10 sessions of speech and language therapy over the year or until the next review (I'd leave this, in view of the fact that it could go up - J's OT did) of approximately 90 minutes duration to include direct and indirect contact as apppropriate. this can also be split into fortnightly block of 45 minutes perhaps, as I'd say that more often would be better and, actually, direct work might be less useful than her teaching the TA to incorporate stuff into daily school routines - less abstract that way.

The 1:1 allocation you've mentioned elsewhere is bobbins as they legally should specify how many hours 1:1 and in groups, but as you've said that ds is little trouble behaviourally, I'm not sure how many more hours you'll get.

Did anyone except you stick their necks out and recommend (or not rule out) ABA?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 09-Nov-09 21:22:58

Message withdrawn

daisy5678 Mon 09-Nov-09 21:24:39

hmm cos she doesn't believe it or because she likes her job?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 09-Nov-09 21:32:26

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 09-Nov-09 21:34:09

Message withdrawn

mrsjuan Mon 09-Nov-09 21:50:24

hmm what, 'proper' PECS? What was the rationale for that?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 09-Nov-09 21:54:37

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now