Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Makaton/BSL help

(24 Posts)
nuru Sun 13-Sep-09 16:05:07

Am struggling with putting signs together for the books dd2's class are doing at school this half term - Little Red Hen, Handa's Surprise and Oliver's Vegetables - a whole new world of vocab!!

So, does anyone know a sign for 'mill' and/or 'grind'?

Might be back for more ideas later.

RaggedRobin Sun 13-Sep-09 21:58:13

not sure of the sign for either but the sign for coffee is a grinding motion using the fingerspelled "g" handshape. if i was making up a sign for the grinding of a mill i'd probably make it bigger, perhaps using my forearms to do the grinding motion. sorry not to be more helpful!

nuru Sun 13-Sep-09 23:29:20

That's really helpful, thanks, and a great suggestion!

mumoverseas Mon 14-Sep-09 12:28:08

Hi Nuru and Ragged Robin, hope you don't mind me crashing your thread but I was going to start a new one regarding BSL/Makaton and found this.

I've done various BSL/Makaton courses over the years, all with a view to hopefully teaching deaf children but I could never really afford to give up my career to do this. I'm now on an extended career break and have made a decision to follow my dream.
I'm starting a baby/todder singing and signing class but want to gain a formal qualification with a view to being able to go into special needs teaching in the future when I return to the UK.

Any suggestions with regards to courses. I'm abroad at the moment so it would need to be something I could do via correspondance course/distance learning.

bigcar Mon 14-Sep-09 13:55:54

Don't know if this is any use here mumoverseas

mumoverseas Mon 14-Sep-09 16:42:43

thanks bigcar, thats really useful.
Think I might have been a bit hopeful in my ambition as looking at that article there is a lot of training involved and am currently thinking of maybe trying to train as a special needs assistant as obviously sign language is not just for the deaf.

It would be virtually impossible for me to obtain the qualifications required to be a 'proper' teacher whilst I'm abroad sad really interesting and helpful information though and really appreciate that.

I've been trying to look at various low entry level courses in special needs but they all seem to require that you are working yet how can you get a job without the qualifications?

nymphadora Mon 14-Sep-09 17:11:47

Work with adults with LD , lower paid, but it gets you experience with SN

RaggedRobin Mon 14-Sep-09 21:37:32

hi mumoverseas,

i teach deaf children - it's a great job if you do decide to follow that route. i was initially an english teacher and did the modular qualification in the evenings and on day release while working as a teacher. learning bsl is a lifelong commitment, i've found!

often services for deaf children will have roles for classroom assistants if you'd like to get experience first. or your makaton skills would be useful in a special school setting.

the council for advancement of communication with deaf people have recently changed their name to signature (i wonder why?!) and their website might be useful to see what kind of career opportunites might be open to you. good luck!

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 14-Sep-09 22:16:10

Hi another ToD here! <waves to RaggedRobin>

I was a primary school teacher working in a school with an enhanced provision for deaf children. I started learning to sign and now have CACDP level 2.

A job came up in the Unit and I got the job and transferred from mainstream teaching.

I did the Birmingham Uni distance learning course (2 years) It was VERY hard work but so worth it. It's just the best job ever.

Another option that is better paid than a TA would be to get an educational communicator qualification. Not sure of the details of the course but sure you could find out if you google it.

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 14-Sep-09 22:20:43

BTW nuru have you seen signed stories Any use?

RaggedRobin Mon 14-Sep-09 22:29:57

howdy doody! ooo, am interested in that signed stories website.

nymphadora Tue 15-Sep-09 08:15:04

Bigbrightknickers when did you do your course? My partner used to lecture on it!

Do you sign robin? I usedto be a signer in a school and used to interpret for both tod we used as neither signed!

nymphadora Tue 15-Sep-09 08:18:48

Sorry robin just realised you do!

mumoverseas Tue 15-Sep-09 10:22:52

thanks for all your advice ladies.
Not much chance of finding work here with adults with LD as they just don't have the same facilities here that they have in the UK.

There is a multi-national school that apparently does have a small SN department so I will look into that.

I did the CACDP level 1 BSL around 5 years ago and did a few level 2 workshops/working towards level 2, started the course and then moved abroad.
I've been having a nightmare with CACDP/Signature as I've been trying to get a copy of my certificate (lost in move) as will need that to even try to get a low level job and also, if I manage to get on a level 2 course when I get back to UK will need proof of Level 1. They are unfortunately been very unhelpful and I've been waiting since June or the confirmation

I attendd a baby/todder signing class with my DC in the summer and have 'refreshed my memory' and am starting my baby & toddler signing classes in a few weeks. Really want to build on that though with a view to a 'proper job' when I return to the UK.

brigit what was the two year distance learning course you did? sounds like it might be something I may be able to do from here?

BrigitBigKnickers Tue 15-Sep-09 16:55:21

Nymphadora I did the Birmingham course between April 1994 and 1996.

mumoverseas to do the course you need to already be qualified as a teacher (and be working with deaf children while you train)and there are half termly tutorials which are local and a residential week at the uni in both years of the course so from overseas probably wouldn't work.

nymphadora Tue 15-Sep-09 19:28:43

Ah he started in 1998 so too late for you!

nymphadora Tue 15-Sep-09 19:28:45

Ah he started in 1998 so too late for you!

nuru Wed 16-Sep-09 09:43:37

thanks BBK - just discovered that signed stories site at the w/e - it's great, isn't it?

nuru Thu 17-Sep-09 22:24:41

sorry, me again!

anyone know a sign for 'surprise' ?

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 18-Sep-09 00:05:00

Tap Tips of fingers, both hands, on chest and move them slightly forward in one jerky motion. Facial expression to shows surprise (eyes wide open mouth open)similar to sign for shock.

nuru Sat 19-Sep-09 09:19:56

Thanks! You're a star

mumoverseas Mon 28-Sep-09 12:22:09

can any of you lovely ladies help me with the sign for Pink (think it is quite similar to 'sad' but can't quite remember) and


draughts Mon 28-Sep-09 12:41:33

Hello, I'm not sure of the sign for zebra but pink is first finger dragging along the gum line outside of the mouth iyswim. As in pink for pink gums.

HTH. smile

mumoverseas Mon 28-Sep-09 13:24:37

Hi, so quite similar to red then but with the gum instead of lip?
Thanks for that

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: