Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Autistic tendencies in 2 year old girl? Or not?

(58 Posts)
RumourOfAHurricane Sat 15-Aug-09 19:41:10

Message withdrawn

bubblagirl Sat 15-Aug-09 20:00:17

from what im reading without wanting to say yes i would say it warrants further investigation some things there i would say sounds to me like it really wouldn't hurt going to her gp and getting refferral to paed i took my ds at 2 with concerns he was dx at 3

i bypassed the hv as mine is very dismissive and i knew something wasnt right so went straight to gp who referred me to child team who then observed ds on several occassions before dx

as we all know early intervention is always best so even if all comes out ok to start now would be better than leaving another 6 mths and then finding help is needed as could have already been receiving it by then easier to come off a list than go on it

jemmm Sat 15-Aug-09 20:08:01

The supermarket thing rings bells with me - our 2.2 year old with ASD hates Marks and Spencers foodhall - screams as soon as we walk in - we think it's a sensory thing - change in temperature - that said it could be the miserable staff... another story.

If your friend is really concerned, then don't take a "no" from a GP as gospel - we did and lost four months. Our HV was brilliant! Everyone's route in seems to be different.

Where we are we can self-refer to Speech Therapy drop-ins - that's what really got things moving for us. Our SaLT referred us to the paed.

You might also want to look at the CHAT - Checklist for Autism in Toddlers. And I think there's one called M-CHAT now as well. It's what GP's should use as an intitial diagnostic tool - ours hadn't heard of it.

Hope that helps.

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 15-Aug-09 20:11:33

Message withdrawn

jemmm Sat 15-Aug-09 20:17:27

sorry - that would have been sensible wouldn't it...

www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1048&a=2226

There's loads of other stuff on the NAS site that is helpful.

Tell your friend M&S foodhall staff need some Autism Awareness Training... miserable sods - they're not keen on you breaking bits of croissant off for the children as you walk round either - tsk!

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 15-Aug-09 20:32:00

Message withdrawn

siblingrivalry Sat 15-Aug-09 20:37:22

Hi

I would also say that her behaviour and little quirks warrant further investigation - a few bells ringing, there.
It's always tricky when they are toddlers, as sometimes professionals are quick to put bad behaviour down to the child's age. Of course, this may be the case in some instances.

What I would say to your friend is to trust her instincts. If her concerns aren't taken seriously by health professionals and she is still concerned, keep pushing for a referral. I fell into the trap of trusting other people's opinions above my own and it delayed dd's dx.
Hope your friend gets sorted.

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 15-Aug-09 20:39:00

I agree that it warrants assessment. May be asd, may not be. But it doesn't hurt to have someone take a look.

TotalChaos Sat 15-Aug-09 20:45:59

agree with the others - worth getting it checked out asap. and well worth your friend checking out her local SALT department referrals policy - some departments let parents refer themselves, others make you go through HV/GP.

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 15-Aug-09 21:01:19

Message withdrawn

mumslife Sat 15-Aug-09 21:19:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 15-Aug-09 21:28:25

Message withdrawn

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 15-Aug-09 21:34:02

Tuning you out - not being aware of your presence / words.

High pitched screeching.

repetitive behaviours.

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 15-Aug-09 21:40:21

Message withdrawn

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 15-Aug-09 21:51:00

I don't know. It is just something I have noticed many children with autism have / do. It's a very unique sound. Not 'normal' yelling/screaming/screeching iyswim. It is totally ear-piercing in a way that I just have not come across in an nt child.

I don't think it's on any list of signs or anything grin just a personal observation!

Does she make eye contact?
Does she show you things? Want to share things with you that are interesting?
Does she point? Or wave?
Does she copy you? - say if you pulled a face would she pull it back at you?
Is she interested in other kids?
How does she walk? Does she walk on her toes?

You've already said she is too independent for her age, which can also be a sign. - not needing you or wanting you in any way!!

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 15-Aug-09 22:01:02

Message withdrawn

Phoenix4725 Sun 16-Aug-09 06:35:53

In the meantime it might be worth breaking laungage down into key words instead of saying can you give me the bowl please, cut down t,o bowl please while holding hand out or even just bowl with approiate gesture ,

same with book etc try using key words only , just in case has a receptive langage delay .keep it clear and simple

Know several people on here including myself have dc that struggle with it.

jemmm Sun 16-Aug-09 08:55:27

Shineon - guessing a little obviously - but the straps in the car, and the supermarket thing, and maybe the screaming could all be sensory issues - www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=528&a=3766

In terms of alarm bells - I'd be concerned about the imaginative play, the language thing, and the repetitive thing - and the lack of fear/no sense of danger thing, is another thing that people talk about. My DS happily walks into swings and off of slides.

As for the people in Sainsburys - tell them to go and shop in M&S?

One last thing - if you're friend's DD is on the spectrum, it's going to really help her and how she approaches this if she stops thinking of her DD as "naughty". She's not. My 2.2 year old will happily scream - although his is less high pitched and more sort of gutteral/throaty - all the way around a supermarket - the only way to deal with it sometimes is to get on with it and ignore what other people are doing - that's much easier to do if you're thinking "ASD", rather than "Naughty" - just a thought.

And a last thing - morning coffee kicking in - and I'm thinking practically here - it may just be worth your friend learning a few makaton signs. Not particularly from a communication viewpoint - but they're a brilliant way of telling other people to back off; they scream that your child isn't naughty and that there's something else going on. Feeling as though everyone is watching you and your screaming child is horrible - having strategies for coping with it helps.

That make sense?

Now I wonder if Justin has the makaton for "Those people are ignorant" on Something Special"...

cyberseraphim Sun 16-Aug-09 09:05:56

If the lack of age appropriate understanding is pervasive - not just now and then, that raises an alarm bell. Sorry to sound negative, there are positive things in your friend's account but this issue is one that jumps out.

TotalChaos Sun 16-Aug-09 09:15:15

yes, the lack of understanding and pretend play would bother me even without the other issues, as sounds like a possible language delay, rather than a kid who will magically sort themselves out by 3. agree with phoenix advice about keeping language v simple if you suspect understanding difficulties.

btw I would say the red flag with my DS who has language delay was limited understanding and no language explosion at all - very little progress at all between 2 and 3 years.

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 16-Aug-09 09:16:19

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 16-Aug-09 09:23:55

Message withdrawn

TotalChaos Sun 16-Aug-09 09:26:29

the national autistic society website is a
decent starting point for info about behaviour/language etc.

www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1070

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 16-Aug-09 09:27:02

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 16-Aug-09 09:28:16

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now