Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The LA are all in a tiz because I said I wanted to.....

(67 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Tue 04-Aug-09 16:07:34

Message withdrawn

Phoenix4725 Tue 04-Aug-09 16:14:22

I asked to but was told its a no but yet the Lea can go in person and put their opion to a allergedly independant panel

staryeyed Tue 04-Aug-09 16:44:29

I was told I couldnt attend too.

I would say parents not being able to attend is bolleux as we should know who is on "the panel" and how they are making their decisions.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 04-Aug-09 16:47:04

Message withdrawn

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Tue 04-Aug-09 16:48:31

No chance here, you're not even allowed contact- SENCO called and had a right shouting at!

It's absolutely the norm to be refused and yet it seems so wrong. We did manage to get panel dates and could have sat outside with placards I guess, but short of that you just have to rely.

you could write them a letter though, I did.

staryeyed Tue 04-Aug-09 16:54:11

sos;sen!

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 04-Aug-09 16:54:40

Message withdrawn

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Tue 04-Aug-09 16:58:05

SOS! SEN are fabbo

But I still bet you don't get in- we were mumbled somethinga bout anonumity guarantee for panel

Bullshit natch

r3dh3d Tue 04-Aug-09 16:58:37

You could try SOS!SEN. But I doubt they will be able to help you.

It's basically an internal meeting where they allocate places between a group of different kids. Some won't get anywhere at all. It would be completely unfair if you were the only parents to attend, and if all the parents attended it would degenerate into a fist-fight between the parents over who gets the last places.

All of which is because they are illegally rationing provision, of course. It shouldn't be "well, we have 12 places and let's decide which 12 of these 20 kids get lucky". It should be "Oh heck, we've got 20 kids submitting this year - OK let's work out how on earth we are going to fund all this lot". But given that the system is that rubbish, I can see it would be impossible to allow parents into the meeting.

I think your best bet is to find out who IS on panel that day and see if you know any of them. I dimly remember (we didn't realise how important it was at the time) our excellent Portage worker was in DD1's meeting so able to set them straight if needed.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 04-Aug-09 17:07:04

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 04-Aug-09 17:08:33

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 04-Aug-09 17:10:20

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Tue 04-Aug-09 17:11:36

I think it is because the panel meet is like r3 described - they will not only be discussing your ds, but all the children put forward.

I don't think they discuss them individually, on a case-by-case basis (alphabetically, or by date order, or any other criteria) because they have less places than children presented, and end up allocating on basis of perceived need, with loads left at the end - presumeably to be lumped into "fine to cope with mainstream, maybe give them a couple of hours of support". And so they cannot have you in the meeting for the bit where they discuss your ds because there is no segregated bit.

On that basis, you cannot attend as you will hear all sorts of details about other people's children

Don't blame you for trying though, I'd love to be there to correct all the bullshit they spout about my dd - I know that they never represent her accurately

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 04-Aug-09 17:18:28

Message withdrawn

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Tue 04-Aug-09 17:21:26

From what I can work out here, there are two types of panel- palcement panel and the one for assessments, statements etc.

The trouble is, they will be discussing other kids, and if there are any from your school they could well be mentioned in tandem. That at the least will be their excuse.

It's treated as sacresanct: no aprents, after all aprents are pesky no nowts who want it all and are just wanting cash for their precious darlings who don't really need help wink

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 04-Aug-09 17:22:58

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 04-Aug-09 17:28:06

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 04-Aug-09 17:29:15

Message withdrawn

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Tue 04-Aug-09 17:30:28

At the palcement meeting, they simply can't let you in- if other kids are being discussed they would have to have ytou removed by security, or even police: they simply can't allow you to overhear other cases.

however, in principle I can't see why an assessment meet should be help in private but i'd be very surprised if it went ahead with you there. Good on you for trying though.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 04-Aug-09 17:41:55

Message withdrawn

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Tue 04-Aug-09 18:15:54

Yep, i'd be the same- and they know it.

Hopefully though oyur area might be on the up as they are advertising for people to co-ordinate the Welsh ASD plan. Not holding my breath, mind LOL

moondog Tue 04-Aug-09 18:34:14

Ask who is on the panel. That frightens them.
They told me they wouldn't tell me so I told them I would put in a FoI request for names.
I did and got the names and addresses of them all.
Funny that. hmm

Nothing wrong with getting a name and a reputation because in the end they are desperate to get rid of you and thus more iinclined to give you what you want to get you out of their hair.

waitingforgodot Tue 04-Aug-09 19:44:58

Good for you Starlight.
Now watch the policy get frantically rewritten...

moondog Tue 04-Aug-09 19:55:57

The point about prioritising battles is important as you state, though.
In these situations, the shit flies at you from all angles so yuo have to decide which piles to scoop up and fling back. Even just prioritising those takes so much time.

For a whole year, my life was work, get home, deal with the kids,do the work with dd the bastards paid to do it were supposed to be doing and weren't, put the kids to bed, do some work on my MSc then start writing letters to the various individuals I had to eal with in a similar situation.

Dh was away abroad the whole time.

[I must point out that exercise was I am convinced, the only think that stopped me losing it big time, so please bear that in mind, anyone in a similar situation.]

anonandlikeit Tue 04-Aug-09 20:00:27

I don't blame you starlight, I hate it when my ds2 is discussed without me there as his representative, after all nobody else has putrely HIS best interests at heart.

They should be able to provide a valid reason as to why you cannot attend at the meeting.
I guess it is for the reasons the others have stated but couldn't they just call you in for your ds's bit..
SO when they say & the assessment request for little starlight.. the chair says "oh hang on we have his bloody annoying mother in the corridorgrin" & then they call you in why they read out your request & then send you back out whilst they debate who gets the assessment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now