Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can someone help me write a letter please!

(14 Posts)
PipinJo Sat 11-Jul-09 14:46:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sickofsocalledexperts Sat 11-Jul-09 15:08:27

what about this.... I always think it is better to say "upset" rather than "angry" as the former gives you the upper hand:

DRAFT
I am writing to you as Chairman of the governors to register my upset and disappointment at x school's poor record on inclusion of my autisitc son in school life.

I am also shocked at the way in which the HT, xx, spoke to me on yyy date when I (politely) asked her why my son had not even been invited to participate in sports day. Mrs x said "well he's leaving anyway" when I asked her to explain why he had not been asked to participate in any way.

I am also grieved that I was not informed when the school photo day was taking place, meaning my poor son turned up to school in PE kit as per a normal week, while all the other children were smartly dressed for their photos. Change is difficult enough for a child on the autistic spectrum as it is, without the school failing to communicate with me when activities outside the norm were due to take place.

This country's system of mainstream inclusion means that children with special needs, such as my son xxx, have a legal right to be included in our mainstream education system and the curriculum should be adapted, as far as is reasonable, so that they can take part in school community life as much as they do in lessons. I know from friends of mine in other schools, in other LEAs, that autistic children are regularly included in sports day or school concerts, albeit in a way that suits their needs rather than as a full participant. Even if they just help on one end of a tug of war, that's inclusion!

Surely it was not beyond the wit of man for the teachers at xx school to find a way of including one 5 year old autistic boy in the end-of-term concert?

My experiences suggest that x school, and its senior staff, need some further training in the needs of SEN children and the principles of mainstream inclusion.

I am now removing him from this school due to its rigid and unwelcoming attitude - I am writing this letter to you in the hope that next time the school welcomes a child with special educational needs through it doors, they do so with a more open-minded and inclusive attitude. [For that same reason, I am also copying this letter to our community's local paper].

Yours sincerely..

Hassled Sat 11-Jul-09 15:11:28

Dear Chair of Governors

I am writing to express my concern at the attitude of the school towards my son's inclusion in school activities. My son has been diagnosed with XX and is on the SEN Register (if he has an IEP then he is on the register - remember the Chair won't know any background).

<then list specific dates/events - be as lengthy as you can without seeming trivial, IYSWIM. e.g. - on the 10th July X arrived at school in inappropriate clothing to enable him to be included in the school photo. Had I been informed of the clothing required, he would of course have been dressed correctly. On the 8th July, XX happened... >

I am sure you understand how important it is that the school's Inclusion Policy (they will have on - might call it Equality Policy, but more usually Inclusion) is adhered to, and the need for effective communication with parents. Given my son's additional needs the need for regular communication is vital. The situation is sufficiently upsetting, both for X and me, that I have decided to remove X from the school.

I feel strongly that in order to avoid similar situations occurring in the future, the governing body need to monitor both inclusion and communication within the school. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

PipinJo

PipinJo Sat 11-Jul-09 15:29:53

Hassled Sat 11-Jul-09 15:38:34

A pleasure - let me know if you need anything else (am a Chair of Govs, btw, but I hope not yours )

PipinJo Sat 11-Jul-09 15:49:21

cjones2979 Sat 11-Jul-09 15:54:12

Excellent letters ladies !! I may keep copies of these myself if you don't mind in case I ever need to use them in future. grin

Good luck PipinJo.x

PipinJo Sat 11-Jul-09 16:08:06

sickofsocalledexperts Sat 11-Jul-09 16:26:45

no probs Pipinjo! If you do copy letter to newspaper, suggest you disguise your own names but name and shame the school!

HelensMelons Sat 11-Jul-09 17:16:32

PipinJo

Good luck. The examples are brilliant.

Here are some useful words:

dismal
regretful
provoked
ineffectual
resigned
perplexed
troubled
baffled
alarmed
dissatisfied
b ewildered
impotent
abhor

Just in case you need any padding!

PipinJo Sat 11-Jul-09 18:30:24

sickofsocalledexperts Sat 11-Jul-09 18:38:11

I think probably your initial instinct just to write to the chairperson of the governors was a good one Pip x

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 11-Jul-09 19:03:17

Message withdrawn

jemmm Sat 11-Jul-09 19:54:00

Starlights right - only got a mo - but Local Authorities now run a cabinet system - so there will be an elected member (councillor) - with lead responsibility for Education and one for Social Care.

The Town Hall will give you their name - Education will also have a complaints procedure. They need a copy too.

<Takes off LA hat>

PLEASE can I add to the useful word list!! please, please, please - not really got time now, but my first would be:

f*ckers

J

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now