Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Permanent terrible twos?

(5 Posts)
StillUnderThirthy Thu 18-Jun-09 17:54:52

My dh just called to report how the OT appt went, and the thing that struck me as always was how my (soon to be 2years old) dd throws tantrums easily.
She has dev delays due to lack of oxygen / brain bleed at birth and she always had a difficult temper.

Like if I remove an object from her, she will wail and/or throw the object and/or throw herself on the floor...

Same reaction when she cannot play properly with a toy, or does not succeed in drinking from a real cup, or does not want to hold my hand when walking. Also she has a short attention span.

I know some will say it's the terrible two's, but really she has always been like that, it's just worst..

I am so worried how this behavior will translate as she grows older; does anyone recognize their dc in my dd, and tell me how that behavior evolves?

She is a curious and sociable little girl, but the way she acts sometimes worries me.

Thanks for your input

StillUnderThirthy Thu 18-Jun-09 21:34:42

Will repost with more appropriate name

TotalChaos Thu 18-Jun-09 21:38:22

If she is behind with her speech then that may well be behind some of the frustration. Also frustration is often seen as a good sign, as it means she's motivated to learn, and wants to be able to do things like drink from the cup etc. Hopefully once she feels more in control of her environment, as she develops skills/her communication there will be less for her to be frustrated about.

5inthebed Thu 18-Jun-09 21:42:59

I would say she is more frustrated than having a tantrum tbh. DS2 (ASD) was very much like this last year when he was non verbal, and his behaviour has become slightly better since he is able to let us know what is the matter/what he wants.

StillUnderThirthy Thu 18-Jun-09 22:09:25

TC,
Well she is higly motivated then grin!, and yes she is very behind in her speech, but good receptive thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now