Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Question re: housing adapts.

(6 Posts)
feelingbetter Mon 02-Feb-09 20:15:46

We are having some people round next week to quote to convert our bathroom into a wet room. It needed re-doing anyway and we have been saving for a few years to get it done, but now we have DSs needs to think of, we think wet room is the way to go.

As I say, we have the money for this but we have been told by one of the company's rep's that we could claim back the VAT because of DSs SN.

Does anyone know if this is true? If it is, how do I go about it?

Thanks x

thisisyesterday Mon 02-Feb-09 20:18:47


josey Mon 02-Feb-09 21:46:59

Not sure about claiming back the VAT or how you would do it, but I think it might be SW, can you do a search on your Local Council website.
I have just looked on mine and Planning and Environmental services doing a grant for private houses.

feelingbetter Mon 02-Feb-09 22:09:01

Thanks josey.
Wouldn't be entirely comfortable asking for a grant - we were planning a refit anyway, just changed plan to suit DS. Will ask the Dolphin man when he comes next week. He must have got the info from somewhere!

josey Mon 02-Feb-09 22:12:26

Reading what ours says its exactly for what you need to do you py 50% and they pay the other if accepted up to certain values.
Why not sure you paid your taxes and are just as intitled as anyone.

monstermansmum Mon 02-Feb-09 23:30:27

here not a very gd site but the info is there! Disabled Facilities grant is mandatory for disabled children under 19 and is no longer means tested. You could pay to have your own bathroom but also have a 'special'one fitted for your child, or have a downstairs bedroom/bathroom garage conversion etc. The grant is not a 'charity' thing but a provision frm the gov. to make sure that people with disabilities have safe access to the things they need at home. Might take a while coming through (We were told march 2009, 2.5 yrs ago for a downstairs bedrom!!! havent seen the surveyor yet!!) (we are in council property though) The wait wont be as long for homeowners & now you dont have to contribute to it unless you want something fantastic that your child doesnt actually need! Eg gold plated taps or a power shower!! hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: