Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Had to bring the wheelchair into the house this morning :(

(15 Posts)
sparklymieow Sat 05-Mar-05 22:23:48

This morning when DS got up he was very stiff and couldn't walk. He asked me to carry him about,and I can't do it anymore, he is 7 and getting heavy. So I had to go out to the car in my dressing gown and get the wheelchair in. I have realised that the extention the council built with a downstairs bedroom and wet room isn't big enough for DS in a wheelchair, there isn't enough room for a turning circle.
Didn't think he would need to use the wheelchair ever in the house

milward Sat 05-Mar-05 22:25:18

Don't know what to say - just thinking of you & ds.

coppertop Sat 05-Mar-05 22:50:41

Oh no.

Can you get the council to do anything about it? There have been a few cases in our local paper recently where houses/doors have been unsuitable for wheelchairs and workmen have been sent out pretty quickly to sort it out.

misdee Sat 05-Mar-05 22:53:02

i have to say, that my bungalow is meant to be useuable for wheelchair users, and i dont think there is a space for turning circle in any of the bedrooms if beds are in there. which makes the place useless.

sparklymieow Sat 05-Mar-05 22:53:11

apart from knock it down and start again, they won't be able to do nothing. The doors are big enough tho. I think I need to go to the council and ask about getting a bungalow There are lots of HA houses and bungalows going up here over the next few years, so I will have to go and see the housing officer and disuss this.

coppertop Sat 05-Mar-05 23:00:16

Will you be able to get any help in the meantime? Any equipment to help with lifting etc?

sparklymieow Sat 05-Mar-05 23:01:18

no because its not everyday. He generally is ok, just has the odd bad day. I don't know how much more I can take tho.

coppertop Sat 05-Mar-05 23:02:39

It must be back-breaking. I know how heavy my ds1 is and he's only 4yrs old.

sparklymieow Sat 05-Mar-05 23:04:26

I am only 4ft 11 and weigh 7st myself and carrying a small 7 year old is hard. He is about 48lb.

coppertop Sat 05-Mar-05 23:07:00

Blimey. That's pretty much half your weight you're having to carry!

sparklymieow Sat 05-Mar-05 23:08:36

I know, Misdee thinks its strange that I can lift her DD2 easily (she weighs 40lb) but look at what I am used to lifting!!

coppertop Sat 05-Mar-05 23:12:04

I think you should change your MN name to SparklySchwarzenneger. Or ArnieMieow!

sparklymieow Sat 05-Mar-05 23:13:16

I like SparklySchwarzenneger!!! I can lift washing machines too (with help of course!!)

coppertop Sat 05-Mar-05 23:29:43

I shall expect you to start a new profile under the name SparklySchwarzenegger with a Photoshop doctored pic of you holding a child on one shoulder and a washing machine on the other.

sparklymieow Sat 05-Mar-05 23:32:32

thats made me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now