Advanced search

Playmate for my Ds???

(16 Posts)
macwoozy Thu 17-Feb-05 11:52:58

I wondered if anyone could help me. The thing is I can't bear to watch my ds having to go through another school holiday with no friends to play with. He's nearing 5 with HFA,(possibly Aspergers) and only yesterday he asked me if I could ask one of his classmates to come round and play with him. I found this request really upsetting because at school he doesn't have any friends, I can't think of any child that would willingly come round and play. I also don't know any of the parents that I could speak to about this. Easter is approaching and I really don't want him to spend more time on his own. Playschemes are not an option because he needs alot of supervision. He thoroughly enjoys indoor ball parks but he's always the child without a friend, and this is suddenly dawning on him, I just wondered if any groups existed with like minded children, where they could all play together in the Hampshire/Surrey area. I've not heard of any such groups and I think I'm clutching at straws abit but I know if any did exist you lot would know. Thanks

Mum2girls Thu 17-Feb-05 12:10:45

I feel really sad for your ds - no advice, but bumping for you.

MandM Thu 17-Feb-05 12:31:45

I don't know if this is the case in your area or not, but our local council runs two sets of school holiday playschemes alongside each other: one for NT children and one for SN children. Whilst training to be a teacher my sister worked on the SN playschemes for 3 years and they were absolutely brilliant, all sorts of activities and days out. I think places were quite limited because of the level of support offered (at least one to one in most cases) but it would be worth making further enquiries.
I'm sure someone more local to you will post soon to offer better advice. I hope you and your ds have a lovely Easter holiday together, whatever you get up to.
Also, have you seen the thread about JakB's new SN play group. I don't know where she is in the country but several others on there have mentioned similar play groups in different areas.

snafu Thu 17-Feb-05 12:34:47

Oh, macwoozy, I really hope you find something for your ds. Sorry I can't help but I know the SN boards are brilliantly supportive here and someone will be able to.

Jimjams Thu 17-Feb-05 12:35:50

check with social servicesabout local playschemes- locally there is a group that provides one to ones to allow children to attend mainstream playschemes. It's useless for my son, but seeems to work well with children with hfa/as. as usual- it's not well advertised- you have to ask.

Christie Thu 17-Feb-05 12:44:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

macwoozy Thu 17-Feb-05 13:24:35

Thanks for all the advice you've given me. I've just contacted social services about possible playschemes in the area. One of their duty workers will be getting back to me. She mentioned Mencap as well but apparently a social worker has to refer me first, as I might not qualify for it.Fingers crossed.

MrsFROSTgetful Thu 17-Feb-05 22:00:56

all i wanted to say is that i know exactly where you are coming from.... a few years back a woman locally advertised for a 'friend' for her asperger's son....and hit the local headlines!

many a time i have hoped in desparation that somewhere there would be a friend for my boys that loved playstations etc as pasionately as they do!

Davros Thu 17-Feb-05 23:28:37

Also ask the NAS for local info via their main Head Office number. They have regional co-ordinators who know about local services and, of course, branches.

ScummyMummy Thu 17-Feb-05 23:31:56

Where abouts are you, macwoozy? If you are a Londoner I have two friends for him. A park playdate would be great.

macwoozy Fri 18-Feb-05 11:18:29

An advert in the thats a thought. If he had a little friend to play playstation with , then he'd be in heaven. But god help them if they actually beat him.He's not good at losing, just like his father.
Well I've not had a phone call from Social Services,but I'm not suprised, I'll wait a while longer but in meantime I will give NAS a ring. I'm going to make sure he gets a place somewhere for the next hols.
Thats kind of you scummymummy but my driving skills aren't up to the streets of London yet, I live about 40 miles away. Shame though.

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Fri 18-Feb-05 16:08:10

macwoozy - do you have a contact a family near you. They basically help families with sn/dosabled children. I rememember a mum advertised for a playmate for her dd who had cp. Worth a go

macwoozy Fri 18-Feb-05 16:12:35

I've never heard of "contact a family" Is that advertised anywhere. I'm willing to give anything a go.

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Fri 18-Feb-05 16:21:10

Contactafamily Details for you. Give them a call, they are so helpful

macwoozy Fri 18-Feb-05 16:24:41

Ah, thanks alot

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Fri 18-Feb-05 16:34:28

I know it says disabled and children with medical difficulties but when my dd was (wrongly) dx with Adhd they sent me so much info.
They send out a newsletter evry about 8 weeks and it was on there. Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: