Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.
Waiting for DLA renewal to be decided on(11 Posts)
And its making me nervous! I think we will probably go from high to middle rate care which is bad enough as it'll mean £40 ish less a week with the tax credits too. But my worst fear is them putting her on basic or stoppign it all together because then I'd lose carers too and I don't know what I'd do then. Appeal I suppose but argh how scary. Please tell me they don't take long to make a decision? I think it was only three weeks the last time but can't really remember. Bet its a "how long is a piece of string" thing though isn't it?
it probably varies but if it's any consolation we put our first application in a few months ago and it didn't take long at all. fingers crossed!
Our renewals seemed to go through fairly quickly. I remember posting one renewal a day or two before Christmas Eve and getting a reply in mid-January.
Obviously the decision will depend on dd's circumstances (and whether the assessor is having a bad hair day ) but they won't necessarily reduce it. Ds2's stayed at higher rate for care and he got lower rate mobility added. Ds1's actually went up from middle rate to higher.
Good luck. xx
Whatever happens used2bthin, the letter will arrive on a Saturday so you can't ring up and rant at them.
Tis the law of Davros
Thanks everyone, and Sagar I bet you are right! I am scared every time the post comes! Also waiting for the final decision for an old tax credits claim me and XP had that I am pretty sure we owe £2oo on. I seem to jusrt go through money though, I don't know where it goes. I suppose every one is cutting back at the moment so it probably won't be as bad as I think. I hope anyway!The waiting is the worst. I think we probably won't get full rate again because DD was having meds through the night when we applied before and isn't now when she is well. I did stress that she still needs monitering more than others though and if she is ill I don't sleep at all because I have to give the injection then hospital etc. Hope it comes quickly like it has for others. Has anyone had to appeal in court? Is it terrifying?
I appealled once for dd. It was quite nervewracking as I had to go on my own and it's a proper panel of people. Also sometimes someone from the DWP turns up too although not all the time. He did come to our appeal but he was a smarmy so-and-so and he put the panel's backs up straight away. The doctor on the panel really 'got' dd's issues and we got mid-rate care. The next time we renewed with pretty much an identical form and we got mid-rate care plus low mobility straight away. It seems that there's no reason to it. Just depends which side of the bed the assessor gets out of.
we had a renewal and a new claim back in the last 2/3wks, the renewal took the longest- 7wks (middle care and lower mobility - to same award) and new claim took 5wks (high care only, as hes only 2), so i dont think that its taking that long at the moment. However if they have to get in touch with medical people (IE doctor), they are only allowed to write to them, but if its a non-medic person (IE SALT, HV) they are allowed to ring them and confirm details and that way it doesnt take nearly as long.
GOOD LUCK, hope its good news and doesnt take long for you. XXX
Thanks Saggar that does sound scary, fingers crossed I won't need to appeal but if I do then I think the woman from contact a family who helped with my forms said she'd come to support me. I am petrified of public speaking though, I mean really scared. When I did my degree I used to take valium to help me through presentations, I just know I wouldn't get my point across very well.
Misscutandstick 7 weeks is quite a long time. The current claim runs till the 20th of December so I suppose they could easily take even longer. Thanks for the info about writing to health professionals, that is interesting because the person they may need to contact is DD's endocrine consultant so that may delay mine. It'll probably come when I have stopped expecting it and give me a big shock.
When ds2's dla was renewed earlier this year, they decided to move it from middle to lower rate despite him having a new medical condition to contend wih since the last decision.
I wrote to them explaining why I felt their decision was wrong stating that if they stood by their decision I would be appealing.
Within 1 week I had a letter saying they would leave it at the middle rate but would re-assess in 1.5 years instead of 3 years.
It's probably worth sending them a letter being firm but polite if you feel it's a wrong decision before appealing but be aware of the time scales for appeals which they state in the letter they send you.
Thanks WW that is encouraging. I think that is a good idea. DD has got another thing to cope with since the first one too actually so maybe I would send more info on that if it didn't go through. A lot of it was so hard to fill in for DD as, when she is well it is just a case of giving her the right medicines. But then I suppose I am always monitoring her to know that she is ok. Then when she is unwell it could be completely full on so I hope I got it across ok. I did have help from the same person whpo helped before so hopefully it will be ok. Even she said they may not award full rate again though. The worry of less money is possibly worse than the reality
Join the discussion
Please login first.