Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Semantic Pragmatic Disorder - does anyone have any experience ?

(2 Posts)
RudyVonLasagne Mon 25-Jun-07 13:25:28

I wondered if anyone has any experience of this ? My ds's speech is starting to come through (he is nearly 3) but he tends to repeat stuff and take things a bit literally, as well as shouting words out randomly. He is being assessed at the moment and has started at a special playgroup so that he can mix with his peers and other adults. I know the process of assessment is very slow, but have been reading a little about SPD and echolalia and it does strike a chord. Would be interested to hear of other experiences ?

Thanks

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 20:50:06

Hiya, I have one with SPD (as aprt of HFA) and one with Echolalia as part of undiagnosed but probably asd.

DS1 is a challenge tbh, its actually quite ahrd to work out what things mean to him- you have to remember tot ake a step back. I ahve also noticed that whereas we can do that, in school etc he gives up quickly- he has verbal abilities (not including SPD) equivalent to a 16 - 21 year old he's 7.5) but doesn't talk much in classes any more.

realy, its a bit like learning a foreign langauge for the adults, and like being in a country where everyone speaks a dialect of your own for the kids. We have colated (on BIBIC advice) a scrapbook with ds1 where we collect phrases etc and put what they mean for future reference (eg raining cats and dogs = its raining heavily) and I think thats a good thing to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now