Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

EHCP process and school choices v 1-1?

(7 Posts)
Swippy Tue 15-Nov-16 13:56:25

My 5 year old son has an ASD diagnosis and is in mainstream, we have had a shaky start and have had quite a few battles already. He was informally excluded last year which I complained about, he is doing much better now in year 1 as the teachers seem to understand him more however the organisation and knowledge in the school isn't great and I am worried about yr 2. They are very focussed on his behaviour and although he seems bright to me he is behind with reading and writing. An EP report suggested he is a little low in his IQ. He loves school and has friends although the school say he is bossy and on his own agenda. I know I probably sound biased but he does get lots of playdate invites. HIs attention is very poor and he needs a lot of movement breaks. I really don't know what to do, I looked at a specialist school the other day and I just cant see him there.
We are applying for an EHCP and I have heard you need to decide whether you push for specialist school or 1-1. I really need to decide what is best for him, should I keep him in mainstream with a 1-1 or move to specialist? Or look at independent schools? Can they get the 1-1 funding if he gets this? Is there anything else I should consider? Its all a bit of a mindfield. We are in East Surrey btw so any recommendations would be good too
Sorry for the long essay!

Swippy Tue 15-Nov-16 20:12:04


youarenotkiddingme Tue 15-Nov-16 21:43:10

Id say apply for EHCP and once the assessment has been carried out look at what they say he needs and then decide.
I have an idea I'd like Ds to attend a unit for pupils with ASD but I'd be willing to change that if assessment shows another approach would be more suitable.

SerendipityPhenomenon Wed 16-Nov-16 21:37:02

At this age I suspect the reality is that your local authority isn't very likely to agree to a special school placement - but I agree you need to wait and see what the experts are recommending. Also maybe talk to his paediatrician?

Swippy Wed 16-Nov-16 22:16:47

Well originally we were going to do that but I looked round a school the other day (independent specialist) and the head and a few parents were suggesting you have to work backwards and almost decide if you want it then push for the school to say they can't meet his needs? How accurate are the assessments? Surely the local authority will try and get cheapest option and not best?

SerendipityPhenomenon Wed 16-Nov-16 23:16:02

The LA will certainly go for the cheapest option that is able to meet your child's needs, and they're required to do that by law.

Swippy Sun 20-Nov-16 11:12:49

Thanks im just going to wait and see I guess I've seen so many posts about tribunals and heard stories about having to fight your case I'm worried as I want to do the right thing for him. I'm just so scared for his future..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now