Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Summer Holiday support and ideas thread

(18 Posts)
PolterGoose Fri 22-Jul-16 11:40:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 22-Jul-16 13:00:37

We are struggling being at home (probably post holiday blues) Dd3 visited her friend to play minecraft yesterday for a couple of hours but has mostly been on the sofa infront of a screen.

Most home edders seem to hibernate in the holidays but I am going to see if anyone fancies doung something next week.

Our plans include wild swimming, picnics in quiet places, some more camping/caravanning, a visit to the Elan Valley and the Red Kite feeding centre!

Going out for breakfast sounds like a great idea smile

PolterGoose Fri 22-Jul-16 13:07:17

Ineedmorepatience Fri 22-Jul-16 14:04:08

Yes I think it is that one I have booked a campsite not far away.

Some rivers are suitable for wild swimming and often there are shallows where there is no real need to be able to swim, there is a wild swimming website :-)

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-16 15:12:08

Wild swimming is often wading with attitude. I am longing for one of those plastic kayaks and to paddle but I doubt it's doable. Ds is on edge so, I am too [sigh]

We might try cooking things with magnifying glasses.

We cook a lot anyway.

We've done a bit of camping in the garden.

PolterGoose Fri 22-Jul-16 16:46:43

Ineedmorepatience Fri 22-Jul-16 16:58:39

Brilliant grin

Ineedmorepatience Fri 22-Jul-16 17:01:40

zzzzz we wanted to buy a sit on top kayak but they are so heavy! Dd3 and I couldnt carry one very far and certainly not across rough ground. We opted for an inflatable SUP board which is more manageable and great fun smile

Hope your Ds settles into holiday mode soon.

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-16 17:04:23

Can I ask a really stupid question blush. Can you launch a kayak on any river in the uk or do you need some sort of permission?

Also are there maps of the river? OS maps don't seem to include weirs/least etc???

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-16 17:05:34

In my defender I wasn't brought up here. Sometimes there are just holes in what I know.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 22-Jul-16 19:53:32

No there are ridiculously complicated rules about where you can kayak and where you cant in England and Wales. In scotland you can paddle anywhere that is not private land as far as I know.

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-16 21:16:02

How do you find out what's ok? confused

Ineedmorepatience Fri 22-Jul-16 21:33:34

I am not sure because the British Canoe Union (BCU) seem to hold the info and you have to be a member to access it.

You could try googling your local rivers and see if anything useful comes up.

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jul-16 14:49:12

yippeekiyay2 Sat 23-Jul-16 16:55:12

Have a feeling I might need this! First year for 3 years we haven't gone away for half the summer - still hard work but easier keeping her busy! - 35 wks pregnant and already had a number of arguments with dd today as she wants constant attention and keeps begging to knock for her friend. Trouble is I don't want her doing that every day for 6 wks and they already fell out when her friend was here yesterday... Meanwhile dh is trying to sort the house out for when the baby is due and I have absolutely zero energy. And we have no family nearby so no one to just pop round or take her for a bit sad I feel it's going to be a loooooonnnng summer...

Ineedmorepatience Sat 23-Jul-16 17:54:32

We went SUP boarding at the canoe club, there was hardly anyone there. Then we came back and I dyed Dd3's hair again. The sun and the sea last week had bleached it out. Looks cool now though 😀

Ineedmorepatience Sat 23-Jul-16 18:07:14

Sounds tough yippee.

Hope you can find a way through it. We used to do short trips out when Dd3 was younger (still do really) if you can get carer goes free it makes places cheaper so you dont waste your money.

Good luck flowers

yippeekiyay2 Sat 23-Jul-16 19:17:13

Thx patience we will muddle through and we are lucky to be able to be at home for her as childcare would be impossible due to having had issues recently with the after school provider where they are now saying they won't have her without a 1:1 staff member which they want us to pay forangry haven't decided how to tackle this yet as I will be on maternity for a while so that eases the pressure of deciding straight away...
Anyway wouldn't normally be a problem except I can only do things for 5 mins before collapsing into a swollen sweaty lump due to the heat, pgp and having swollen everything for about half of this pregnancy!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now