Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Areas of need - EHCP

(8 Posts)
BigHairySpider Sat 12-Mar-16 18:21:58

I am currently working through the draft EHCP, googling as I go to check things out and am now a bit confused.

Most information shows that there are 4 main areas of SEN Need - Cognition and learning,communication and interaction,sensory/physical and social,emotional and mental health. These headings are all included in the EHCP which is fine. However,I have also seen some mention of another section: self-help and independence/preparation for adulthood.

I will be contacting the LA requesting that help for independence and life skills is included in the EHCP but, in the unlikely event that they disagree, is there any official guidance I can link to that says this should be part of the EHCP?

zzzzz Sat 12-Mar-16 19:10:53

Are you writing it yourself or correcting a draft?

BigHairySpider Sat 12-Mar-16 19:17:32

Going through the draft sent for ds zzzzz

zzzzz Sat 12-Mar-16 19:27:41

okay.

I found it quite overwhelming, but what I did in the end was read it with a pencil in hand and just write what concerned me about each entry (if anything) but in a very chatty way. Then I sat down and wrote a cover letter thanking them for the draft and writing down each concern. So something like "the following bits concerned me heading, page this is right but he also needs help with XXXX", then I added a bit at the bottom with "further to that I'm a bit worried that there is no mention of ds difficulties with AAAAA he will need BBBBB to manage" for each additional thing.

Then I emailed it and posted it to them and they sent back a second draft with all my changes neatly put in smile and that was it shock ....I have no idea if this is how you are supposed to do it confused or if it is "good" but ds got into the school that I feel has the best chance of suiting him and there will be a review in a year so we can iron out any bits then I assume.

BigHairySpider Sat 12-Mar-16 19:51:26

Thanks zzzz , I guess I'll do that.
I have a fairly good relationship with the LA and know that they are expecting me to make some changes.

starfishmummy Sat 12-Mar-16 21:38:41

When we got the draft we just ticked the bit on the reply form asking for a meeting, as face to face seems easiest way to get it right. That's this week. Were going with the draft annotated to highlight the obvious mistakes and a list of things they have missed off..

ElementaryMyDear Sun 13-Mar-16 13:38:07

How old is your DC? There's lots of stuff in the Code of Practice about helping older children (i.e. Year 9 and upwards) prepare for adulthood, e.g. paragraph 9.64, 9.68, 9.69.

I think in general stuff about independence and life skills gets included in the "Physical" section unless it's directly relevant to something like communication.

BigHairySpider Sun 13-Mar-16 15:39:55

He is yr 11. I'll have a look at the Senco. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now