Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Friends (or the lack of)

(11 Posts)
EnglishWeddingGuest Sat 19-Dec-15 23:05:54

Anyone got any way of dealing with very sad ds11 when other children exclude him at school ? For example won't let him join in group game despite him asking, don't invite him to hang out or play whatever game as recess despite him asking, etc etc

He is so sad and sobbing - says he is lonely and no boys like him or want to be friends and that he thought this school would be different but it's not and that there are "no boys like him" there

EnglishWeddingGuest Sat 19-Dec-15 23:06:37

And yes we've done all the coaching and role playing etc etc

EnglishWeddingGuest Sat 19-Dec-15 23:07:38

I wish I had a magic wand that would give him a best friend - someone to hang with and laugh and play soccer and go to the movies

Toughasoldboots Sat 19-Dec-15 23:09:08

What are the school like? Are they supportive?
Could you work with them to introduce strategies.
I am just bumping for you really as my dd2 is in a similar position, it's heartbreaking for you.

EnglishWeddingGuest Sat 19-Dec-15 23:18:14

Large school of 1200 - 400 in his grade

EnglishWeddingGuest Sat 19-Dec-15 23:18:35

No realistic social support - only academic which he doesn't need

EnglishWeddingGuest Sat 19-Dec-15 23:26:30

Trying to facilitate one/one but that gets tricker as they get older

Toughasoldboots Sun 20-Dec-15 00:00:42

Similar position to me. Does he go to scouts or anything like that? They can be very inclusive and might help build his confidence up.
Do you know what's going wrong in particular? My dd is too direct which isolates her and that doesn't feel as if it will ever change.
Is secondary school lined up? Sometimes that can get easier if a bigger pool of children helps.

The school have a duty to help socially too , does he have a plan? I can't remember the new name for school action plus etc but that's what dd had.
Does he have a club that he can go to at lunchtime to keep him busy?
The school need to help you with this, can you face arranging a meeting and being more forceful about it?

Toughasoldboots Sun 20-Dec-15 00:02:22

I would move him if this is secondary school and they aren't going to help with social groups and skills.

PolterGoose Sun 20-Dec-15 09:58:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Sun 20-Dec-15 09:59:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now