Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

'Emergency' EHCP - is there such a thing?

(19 Posts)
bbkl Tue 01-Dec-15 08:52:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Tue 01-Dec-15 11:34:39

I dont know about an emergency EHCP but they can put emergency top up funding in place! Not sure about in an independent school though, sorry!

I am fairly certain you shouldnt have to speak to the LA about applying for an EHCP but if that is policy then you might be better to do it their way initially.

Try ringing again or emailing. Or better still get the school to try!

Good luck flowers

bbkl Tue 01-Dec-15 12:09:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GruntledOne Tue 01-Dec-15 14:08:01

You don't have to contact the LA before you ask for an EHC assessment, you can just get on with it. It makes sense to use their form but in fact you can just do it by letter. Don't delay in getting the request in - if the form asks for information you haven't got, just leave that bit blank. Make sure you keep them to the 6 week time limit for responding.

Your difficulty may however be that your dd is in an independent school. The LA may agree that she needs support in the mainstream, but they don't have to provide it if you don't opt for the school they nominate. You could however try to do a deal with them on the basis that, say, you carry on paying the fees provided they fund the extra support.

bbkl Tue 01-Dec-15 19:21:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Youarentkiddingme Tue 01-Dec-15 19:50:03

Are you funding the placement yourself? Could the school not contact the LA and find out what they can access for DD?
Ime self funded placements usually charge for ta support on the termly bill. But if it's la funded then then an emergency review can be called and school can ask for more funding.

Sorry I'm not an expert in this - someone on education boards may have better information about how it works?

And as an aside - why has it suddenly become a requirement that no progress is made before an EHCP is written? SENDCOP says best possible outcome - it doesn't give a rate of progress, just need to prove its affecting rate of progress I thought? <genuinely confused as going through this myself!>

PolterGoose Tue 01-Dec-15 20:14:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bbkl Tue 01-Dec-15 20:41:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GruntledOne Tue 01-Dec-15 20:47:31

I wish so-called SEN professionals wouldn't fixate on academic progress. I fear the IASS person is misinformed in this respect. It's well recognised that emotional and behavioural difficulties can be SEN. Also the Code of Practice makes it clear that, in assessing whether a child is making adequate progress, the LA must also take into account whether the only reason the child is making progress is that s/he is receiving support over and above what would normally be available in a mainstream school.

I would have thought you have a strong argument that your DD wouldn't make anything like that sort of progress if she hadn't been in a school able to offer small classes and a lot of 1:1 support, and probably that she certainly wouldn't be making progress in a mainstream school. For goodness sake, if a small school with strong SEN support can't meet her needs, how could a large comprehensive?

PolterGoose Tue 01-Dec-15 21:06:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bbkl Tue 01-Dec-15 21:36:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bbkl Tue 01-Dec-15 21:49:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Tue 01-Dec-15 22:31:06

Apply for DLA and use it to fund a TA until LA get off their arses.
Apply for ehcp yourself
Salt and EP from county can go into a indi school.
There is funding available without ehcp (Ds is now in state but has a lot of support in school and we don't have ehcp (yet!))
There was a change in what private schools had to provide as standard in 2008ish (I can't remember sorry) There is also reasonable adjustment etc to think about

Youarentkiddingme Wed 02-Dec-15 07:33:47

And whilst you ate applying for echo anyway there's no harm in attempting to get the MS indi as named school and get la to defund the placement! Nothing ventured......! If she needs smell class sizes that's your angle of argument. A MS state just couldn't provide that.

bbkl Wed 02-Dec-15 09:52:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Wed 02-Dec-15 09:55:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Wed 02-Dec-15 11:50:51

Get form done. Timer starts (here) from email to them saying please assess us, I think, though I sent the form back quickly.

Dipankrispaneven Wed 02-Dec-15 12:57:07

Yes, do the form. If you haven't got all the information they ask for, e.g. because it has to come from school, say so and tell them to get it from the school or that it will follow, but accompany it with a letter that says you understand that by law the time for considering the request starts now and you therefore expect a decision from them by whatever date six weeks' time is.

bbkl Wed 02-Dec-15 18:49:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now