Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.
ASD unit or mainstream(17 Posts)
DS had a private assessment, it confirms that he has ASD and a speech and language impairment. But his main issue is communication- from the autism and that he will not cope in a mainstream school.
The assessment was done at a special school. So it gave me an idea how he would be like at a special school and to be honest- I didn't like what I saw.
When I saw DS there, he was like a different child. He was stimming constantly, making noises, chewing. I Have NEVER seen him like this before and he was copying the behaviours of the other kids.
I saw how he was like playing- it was a bit difficult as the kids had language issues- so not much interaction going on.
The people that assessed him said that his best fit would be to look for an ASD unit or special provision for kids who are high functioning- as they were worried that DS may copy the behaviours.
They also advised that DS should not have TEACCH implemented to him now as he needs a much one to one play based approach.
So I'm deciding whether to place him in an ASD unit or stay in mainstream at the same time.
He is doing academically well in mainstream- better than I thought- his already writing letters- and he has only been there for 2 months, he has a very supportive class that really likes him and he likes playing with them.
But he is obviously behind socially and with his language. Which a specialist provision would be right for those issues.
But seeing him in a different light, when he was assessed at the specialist provision and him copying the noises and the stimming- did second guess my decision.
To also add.
His social skills has improved whilst being in mainstream school.
Sorry - I forget how old is he?
I think you need to think about how they can meet his needs in both settings.
Maybe he stimed more due to nerves and being in a unfamiliar place. Would he stim like that on a MS visit? How much was copying or just being out of his comfort zone?
Pluses and bonuses for each. I find these things painfully hard. I had to choose a nursery for my toddler, it was so hard. In the end the best fit for him wasn't the best nursery for SEN knowledge.
I do still wonder if he would have better in a sure start nursery but overall I don't regret going with my gut.
I will be making a choice like yours soon. Its not easy. Remember you make the best decision that is right at the time.
Sorry Im no use at all!
Thanks! your advice is useful!
He was stimming as he found it a bit intensive as the assessment was for three days for 5 hours- he doesn't usually stimm when placed in a different school setting.
He was copying ALOT! My eyes were shocked.
What other type of provisions can kids with ASD go into? School-wise.
I'm no expert in asd. Think my infant school child and two year will get a dx of this but it's hard road for us. They do have dx of sen but I think asd is the primary dx. I can't get past the "eye contact = no asd" right now
Ms with 1.1 is defianatly possible. My Two year old is probably going to a ms but in a speech unit. Lots of kids with asd have gone there. Both my kids are complex. Elder one is in ms with no statement. I'm appealing. He is relavitly happy but they don't get him at all. They certainly can't / don't meet his needs.
Locally we have a great ms secondary for asd. I'm sure there are great infant / junior schools like that two. It's looking for ms who have had lots of kids with asd before.
It's not easy finding them. Here the middle ground does seem to be units in ms.
If he is doing well academically and socially,has friends who likes him and is generally happy, I would leave him where he is. If problems arise and his current school can't answer his needs,then this is the time to consider moving him.
I think the most important thing at this stage is for your ds to be happy in his setting. If he is currently happy and making progress then I would agree with the others and leave him for now but push for extra help with communication where he is. Your decision only needs to be for now and can change in six months time or six years time - you could still look at alternatives for if/when his needs are no longer met.
Sorry - again maybe you have said before but has your private dx been accepted by the NHS? If not then that's your next important fight.
There are many kids with asd doing really well in MS. But they have their needs accepted and fully understood. MS schools have a wealth of knowledge and I see some schools bend over backwards.
For me my DS gets no help as they don't acknowledge his needs. If you had a NHS dx then it would be much faster to get a EHCP if needed or to move schools, insist on schools fully supporting him.
DS has a private dx of severe lang disorder but its private, been ignored for statutory assessment and in his NIL and now at tribunal.
I was considering as the private assessment said DS would not make progress in a mainstream school- though speech wise it made huge progress being at the assessment. Though he did stim A LOT.
The NHS has diagnosed him with autism and learning difficulties- the private assessment diagnosed him with autism and speech and a language impairment.
Sounds good the nhs has accepted. Can they do a fuller slt assessment to capture his speech needs? My nhs and private slt reports are completely opposing each other
the private assessment said DS would not make progress in a mainstream school
would not? or is not? if he is not then yes maybe consider a ss. If he would not then take it with a pinch of salt because they are not always right. I was told by a an EP when my son was 4 that he would be dx with HFA and would be ok in a ms school and lead a normal life. It was absolute bullshit.
DS has does not have HFA, he has typical ASD and has just gone to an indie ss. The latest EP that has seen him thinks he will need residential and supported living as he gets older.
If your son is happy in his school, he is making progress and his needs can be met then i would consider leaving him there and monitoring him. He has a statement so the option of ss is always there if you need it.
Follow your gut instinct and place him somewhere that you feel he will be happy, fit in and that you aren't going to spend all day worrying about him.
They said he would not cope in a mainstream setting, but mainstream school said his fine in class.
Don't know what to do.
I would go with what the school say , they see your boy every day , an assessment is a snapsjot
he is only in reception though, is he. If school say he is coping and you think he he happy and making progress, I would probably leavr him where he is right now. He is only 4 and if things don't work, you can always look at moving him into SS.
when is your annual review?
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.