Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Grants for disabled children

(6 Posts)
veryconfused2 Fri 04-Apr-14 12:56:23

I am looking to apply for a grant of £3500 for my son who has severe ADHD and autism. I want to get him a trained autism/ADHD assistance dog. The charities that provide this all specify that you have to live within a set distance of their centres which we do not. Hence our only option is to pay for a dog to be trained privately and I have found an assistance dog accredited organisation that can do this . I know about Family Fund . What other organisations are there offering grants ?

HecatePropylaea Fri 04-Apr-14 12:57:24

is this any use?

HecatePropylaea Fri 04-Apr-14 12:59:16

or this?

ouryve Fri 04-Apr-14 14:46:04

Cerebra? Worth phoning or emailing them to see if they can help.

veryconfused2 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:48:51

Thank you! smileThe turn 2 us link has lots of tiny charities around here on it

chocolateisheaven1 Sat 05-Apr-14 14:39:37

I only have experience in my county, but there is a grant available for carers by devon carers. They have a website. I think this organisation has a branch for each county so thers sholuld be one for your county, if you don, t live in devon. Mind you, if you contacted devon carers they may be able to poin you inthe direction of the equivalent in your county. You can get a minimum of £100. Another grant I know of is called short breaks local offer in my county and applies to children who get dla care at middle rate and I think also lower rate. The max you get is £200. There are also fair access to short breaks, which is respite, fir children who get dla mobility or dla higher rate care. This is more money than the shirt break local offer. With both, they are intended for respite, so not sure how applicable but if your child is entitled, you could use the money that you would have spent on that and put it towards the dog? I would contact you county parent partnership service, or whatever it is called in your county. They are really hElpful. I also know with the new education health and care plans that are replacing statements, there is a pot of money that parents can access to buy what they think their child needs, so if your child will get an ehcp then maybe you could tap into this for the funds. I have also heard of direct payments, though I am not sure if this is something that will be available when the echp comes in, in september. The parent partnership service will know more on this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: