Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ds says he 'feels' words

(35 Posts)
PolterGoose Wed 02-Apr-14 17:41:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ouryve Wed 02-Apr-14 18:29:09

Synaesthesia?

PolterGoose Wed 02-Apr-14 19:14:53

tacal Wed 02-Apr-14 19:43:34

I could be wrong, but I think the girl who has a video on YouTube says she feels certain words. Is it called my autism and me? I don't have time to check just now but will look later.

The reason I remember is because I think my ds might feel some words as being painful or upsetting to him.

PolterGoose Wed 02-Apr-14 19:58:14

HoleySocksBatman Wed 02-Apr-14 20:34:06

PolterGoose Wed 02-Apr-14 20:38:59

HoleySocksBatman Wed 02-Apr-14 21:07:43

HoleySocksBatman Wed 02-Apr-14 21:08:34

PolterGoose Wed 02-Apr-14 21:21:18

HoleySocksBatman Wed 02-Apr-14 21:23:55

troutsprout Wed 02-Apr-14 22:16:46

Ds can hear shapes... He says different shapes make a sound as you move past them. This is a similar thing maybe?

troutsprout Wed 02-Apr-14 22:21:08

Fab that he is starting to talk about these sort of things polter. It's very insightful isn't it!
Was he saying " I feel something that perhaps others don't "...? If so it suggests he's thinking about what other people feel too doesn't it?
All good anyway smile

PolterGoose Wed 02-Apr-14 22:26:49

blueeyedmonster Wed 02-Apr-14 23:19:01

DS has said he can taste numbers. They're either yummy or yucky.

alita7 Wed 02-Apr-14 23:30:13

well there's two possibilities, it is a common part of autism for children to be able to feel things that you'd think it was impossible to 'feel' or to describe things with adjectives that aren't appropriate like that a sweet tastes brave or a song is fluffy etc so he may have either been told about various aspects of autism and realised that this bit applied to him or he heard various things and having been told some facts thought I must have that bit too as I have autism when really he may not.

tacal Thu 03-Apr-14 07:00:23

Hi polter sorry I took so long to come back. I don't know how to link things. The video is on YouTube and is BBC - My autism and me. At the start the girl briefly describes how words feel. It doesn't explain much about it.

Could this be the video that your ds was shown in class? The national autistic society show it at some of their seminars. Also Autism and me by Rory Hoy is popular for training and information.

PolterGoose Thu 03-Apr-14 07:24:05

PolterGoose Thu 03-Apr-14 09:44:02

troutsprout Thu 03-Apr-14 09:58:26

Good film .I read something about excellent mathematicians being able to " feel" numbers... That they know the numbers inside out and back to front and from all angles... That numbers have a form. Guess this is a similar thing.
Now ... If your boy could just throw a little of his spelling genius in this direction , it would be much appreciated !

streakybacon Thu 03-Apr-14 10:10:07

It seems to take many forms, doesn't it?

I don't know if I'd fit diagnostic criteria (some would argue that I'd ace the assessment wink), but I have Sudoku synaesthesia - every one I do has a feel to it, some theme that I can't explain. One was walking through fields, and another was Abigail's Party. Utterly bonkers but there you have it.

troutsprout Thu 03-Apr-14 10:44:24

grin

CurrerBell Thu 03-Apr-14 23:10:14

This is great that your DS has had this insight! I have mild synaesthesia with letters and numbers (they all have a particular colour and sort of feel about them) and this colours particular words. It does help with spelling. I assumed everyone had this until I was about 19...

Some people have it with music - that must be amazing.

jomaman Thu 03-Apr-14 23:24:03

Hi, I read the 'the tell-tale brain' by V S Ramachandran recently and it has quite a bit about synaesthesia and all the many forms it can take in case you looking to read up on it smile

PolterGoose Fri 04-Apr-14 07:22:34

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now