Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD and sharing a room with a younger sibling

(5 Posts)
littleballerina Sun 16-Feb-14 20:21:36

DS1 (12) and DS2 (8) have shared a room since we moved 6 months ago. DS1 now has no private space although I offer my room, the bathroom etc it's not his and so he doesn't really use it.

At his dads he shares with DS2 and DD (13) and again has no where private to vent/unwind/get away.

Any ideas on how I could help him?

boobybum Sun 16-Feb-14 22:39:00

You might want to look into a disabled facilities grant, there should be something about it on your local council website. It might not be appropriate/they might not be able to provide an additional room but they will hopefully be able to look at ways to adapt existing accommodation.
Would something like a SafeSpace help? You may be able to get funding (either through the council or charities) to help with the cost.

littleballerina Sun 16-Feb-14 22:52:44


We live in a fairly small privately rented house so can't modify it at all.

Just wondered where else would be a good place for him to be when he's over stimulated or angry etc.

boobybum Sun 16-Feb-14 23:02:01

I think DFGs can be used on rented accommodation with the landlord's consent so don't rule it out. Do you have a garden? Could you get something like a trampoline tent so that he can escape when need be even if it's raining? We find that bouncing really helps relax our DS.

littleballerina Mon 17-Feb-14 05:38:45

A tent is a good idea. He'd love a trampoline tent but the garden is an odd shape sadly.

I'll look into DFG. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now