Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Debate on #autism in Parliament this afternoon. The focus is on SEN, but wider issues to be discussed too.

(25 Posts)
HotheadPaisan Tue 20-Nov-12 15:12:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whatthewhatthebleep Tue 20-Nov-12 15:22:54

tuned in...thank you for the link/heads up for this smile

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 16:09:11

Thanks

Iceflower Tue 20-Nov-12 16:19:22

Thank you, will be watching amidst scanning tons of paperwork!

HotheadPaisan Tue 20-Nov-12 16:57:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Iceflower Tue 20-Nov-12 17:06:16

Lots of talk about the proposed EHC plan smile

Iceflower Tue 20-Nov-12 17:11:31

And lots of references to NAS, but I guess it's to be expected as Robert Buckland is chair of APPGA which worked closely with NAS on the survey and report published earlier this year.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 17:26:24

ed's talking now

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 17:26:41

At least he's there.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 17:27:14

Mandatory mediation

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 17:28:50

Anyone clocked the politicians that have attended?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 17:32:45

Treehouse mentioned - at last

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 17:33:23

Silly MP next to her playing on phone

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 17:34:35

Caroline Nokes singing praises of Treehouse

Iceflower Tue 20-Nov-12 17:37:56

Thanks Star for the commentary grin. My viewing was interrupted by tea. I tried to carry on watching but ds told me it was rude to watch while having a meal!

zzzzz Tue 20-Nov-12 17:40:48

Thanks dd driving meotty but getting bits in between her waffle!

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 17:42:38

NI MP claiming that NI to have led the way wrt Autism.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 17:43:38

Coz they actually HAVE legislation already

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 18:30:06

Oooh, go Penny Portsmouth North!

2006hildy Tue 20-Nov-12 19:39:41

no-one from Herts then!

hubby said not many in the house.

whatthewhatthebleep Tue 20-Nov-12 19:40:51

well, I was quite impressed with all of these people and areas/questions discussed
I just wonder what any of it will actually transpire into in reality and how long anything takes to really happen, etc

Where is the suggestion about key time frames for recognition, assessment and interventions...the battle/fighting and a limit on these lengthy time frames being minimised and put into force so children are not left in limbo and their families?...it was mentioned several times but with no suggestion about 'how to' shorten these nightmares.

2006hildy Tue 20-Nov-12 19:44:20

Nice to see everyone working together and recognising what we are going through and the time it all takes, missing vital intervention.

AgnesDiPesto Tue 20-Nov-12 20:35:53

Caught the second half. Timpson is a smooth operator on his feet, smell the barrister. Managed to say alot without saying anything much at all.

DH says the first few speakers were best so will watch it back.

Indep school stuff was good but a Lead teacher for autism in every mainstream school is not going to work unless they are all going to go off to university to do ABA for a few years - it will all be NAS TEACCH SPELL stuff which never worked for DS - why were they talking about high incidence sen when there are lots of low incidence (severe asd / non verbal) kids in mainstream?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 20-Nov-12 20:41:49

Yes, not much of a committment from Ed, but he did say he'd reflect on the COP (unless I misheard - was trying to make dinner, supervise a headsprout session, stop dd from making the baby cry and answer the phone for updates on DH's delays home).

Penny 'gets it' though. Sharon was okay but a tad woolly (but perhaps I'm being unfair as the chicken was burning at that point).

Agree that an autism lead means nothing, except perhaps a bit of awareness-raising, but personally, I'd rather my ds was taught.

whatthewhatthebleep Tue 20-Nov-12 20:51:09

Timpson kinda made me bristle a bit...very on the outskirts of any real answers with all of his words sad

what about sencos being executive staff within schools and being in more of a position to drive through funding and resources they require....I thought this sounded good but question if this would mean new employment of principal senco's into this position or if a current senco would just get the promotion in-house? I would hope that the positions were applied for and the best candidate chosen rather than straight from the in-house staff....
Seems a reasonable idea that senco's would have allocated funds to implement more easily or help drive a resource need forward with more clout if they were part of the school executive commitee iykwim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now