Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADHD, at last

(22 Posts)
justaboutiswarm Mon 08-Oct-12 00:47:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shells Mon 08-Oct-12 07:12:34

Hi Justa,
Good news re. diagnosis. Its a relief isn't it. We are very part time on medication. But fairly newly so - only about 5 months in so I haven't got a lot of experience with it.

We do 4 days a week of school with a small morning dose. And then one day off and weekends and holidays off unless there's something special to be 'calm' for. Its working pretty well doing it that way so far.

The only con being that he would probably 'achieve' more if he was on it all the time, but then he wouldn't sleep. So its a balance.

justaboutiswarm Mon 08-Oct-12 09:24:42

coff33pot Mon 08-Oct-12 10:45:03

Hi justa smile

DS is also AS/ADHD I am glad for you that someone listened and saw x

DS has been on meds for 2 months and I too left it out at weekends.

I have tried an every other day approach recently but that can be hit and miss mood wise x

coff33pot Mon 08-Oct-12 10:48:27

Sleep is an issue and so was eating as he went from wanting seething every 20 mins to having to be reminded to eat or drink. We stuck to an eating routine though and it soon balanced itself out and weight wise he was fine on his check.

justaboutiswarm Mon 08-Oct-12 20:18:51

coff33pot Mon 08-Oct-12 20:45:34

Really its a case of weighing up the advantages and disadvantages to it Justa as it really is a personal choice and every child can have a different reaction to it tbh x

DS had trouble sleeping at nights when anxious anyway and sleepwalks a lot if stressed so its not exactly any different other than he is not angry or anxious going to bed and will lay there or lay on the other sofa quietly but just cant drift off the same. That is why I avoid weekends so at least he drifts off better but it doesnt stop the sleepwalking.

Food wise we stuck to high calorie intake and really wasnt fussy on what he wished to eat. I always give him a cooked breakfast before he takes it as it does kick in remarkably quick. He has permission to have a snack box at school and so when he has an excercise break they ask him to pick something from his box. So if he isnt so hungry to eat a whole meal at lunch it isnt so bad.

What does happen is he is ravenous as soon as the meds where off and his wear off after 8 hours. I have learnt to have a meal cooked or a sandwich made for when he gets home whilst I am cooking tea as he will eat loads of an evening instead.

Difference I have found with the meds is it helps the ADHD side of things a lot and there has been a great difference in his ability to talk (or shout lol) his reasons for being upset and his feelings rather than just impulsive stomping and yelling. There have been good improvements at school too and homework concentration. I have also seen the AS sensitive side come forward and it is like dealing with two different little boys smile

Shells Mon 08-Oct-12 21:51:07

Remarkably similar with us Coff, although we don't seem to have the food thing. He was finding it really hard to go to sleep and getting distressed by that (often awake after 11pm) so I thought we couldn't go on with the daily high dose.

But the positive effects of the medication for us are just great. Way better at school, much calmer, less fidgety, and impacts positively on the ASD stuff too - allowing me to see that a lot of the craziness was the ADHD. QUite helpful to be able to pull them apart.

justaboutiswarm Tue 09-Oct-12 20:34:52

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 09-Oct-12 20:38:33

That's interesting. I was at a discussion at the ioe yesterday where eminent profs stated that ADHD wasn't allowed to be given to children with an ASD Dx, but perhaps Aspergers doesn't count?

Anyway, who cares really? The point is you're a step closer to an easier, better understood life.

HotheadPaisan Tue 09-Oct-12 20:40:24

justaboutiswarm Tue 09-Oct-12 23:54:00

mariamma Wed 10-Oct-12 00:31:17

Restless legs /growing pains?

mariamma Wed 10-Oct-12 00:33:26

Technically you can't have both asd and adhd under DSM-IV categories cos the adhd criteria specifically exclude children with asd. But since lots of children do actually and obviously have both, a lot of doctors pretend they didn't read that sentence grin

justaboutiswarm Wed 10-Oct-12 00:35:08

justaboutiswarm Wed 10-Oct-12 00:36:02

mariamma Wed 10-Oct-12 01:39:18

Blimey justa, had no idea things were at that stage. There really ought to be a diagnosis coming soon. Night pain is commonly held to be a 'red flag' that needs a proper explanation.

justaboutiswarm Wed 10-Oct-12 07:43:47

coff33pot Wed 10-Oct-12 09:30:58

In ref to stars post that is interesting to read because I had thought the same. I am wondering if it is to do with the emotional side of things. To explain they started ds off with 10mg for a week then have me instructions to increase to 20mg as that will be his dose.

However I found with just the low dose he is talking more and discussing his views, upsets etc and there is room for more negotiation. But on the higher dose he was way to emotional as if everything was the end of the world but instead of anger there were huge amounts of time where he would break his heart crying and no amount of consoling would ease it or stop him from repeatedly going over the same thing. It also made his tics worse.

Needless to say I reduced it myself after 3 days and he was back to being himself again and have stayed on this low dose. Still happy and bouncy lol but negotiations are easier smile

Your post just made me think about this.

ouryve Wed 10-Oct-12 10:09:18

Starlight - DS1's diagnosis is Autism and ADHD - he was originally diagnosed with autism (the actual word used) but now his ADHD is being treated, his language is pretty good and anyone seeing him for the first time would probably suggest AS.

ouryve Wed 10-Oct-12 10:12:30

Justa - hypermobility can often include IBS symptoms. OTOH, gastric pain can often transmit as back or hip pain. Has he been checked out for gluten intolerance?

justaboutiswarm Wed 10-Oct-12 10:18:18

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now