Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Part-time in Reception?

(15 Posts)
dinosaur Wed 05-Nov-03 14:57:47

DS1 is supposed to start in Reception after Xmas.

I am thinking of asking whether he can go there e.g. 3 days a week, and carry on going to his brilliant nursery (which is not attached to the school) the other two days.

Has anyone got any idea how school might react to this suggestion? I don't want to put their backs up, but I am nervous about how DS is going to get on, especially as he won't have any LSA or similar.

Jimjams Wed 05-Nov-03 15:02:23

Depends on the school. Ds1 is going part time. At the moment he does 9-11.30 in school on Tue, Wed and Thurs. He also does 4 sessions in nursery. DS1's school, is very willing to be flexible. However I'm not sure its the norm- everyone who has been in there (autism outreach, SALT etc) has commented on how flexible they are being. The LEA aren't that happy - but I told them to get stuffed (as did the nursery and the school).

dinosaur Wed 05-Nov-03 15:47:17

Thanks Jimjams. I have a meeting with the SENCo and the nursery manager on 14 November, all I can do is raise it with both of them and see what they think (I know the nursery manager would keep a place for him two days a week if I asked her to).

I think I just can't bear the thought of severing his links with the nursery that has done so much for him. Also he has a friend there - his first friends - but this child is much younger - not three yet - so won't be starting at school for ages.

Davros Wed 05-Nov-03 16:45:13

I rhink if you emphasise that you think it would be best for HIM and meet his needs better than a sudden and complete change, it would be hard for them to disagree. Special education should be arranged in the best way to meet the child's needs within reason.... good luck.

dinosaur Wed 05-Nov-03 17:24:32

That's what I'm hoping. And I was very struck by something MaryZ said yesterday on another thread about a friend being worth more than hours of LSA time or whatever...

But then again maybe DS1 would have more chance of making a friend in Reception if he was there full-time...Oh it's too hard sometimes.

Jimjams Wed 05-Nov-03 17:28:38

oh and remember a child doesn't have to be in full time education until the term after they are 5. DS1's school lets any child go part time until the term they are 5 (so earlier than the legal school age- but still good).

dinosaur Wed 05-Nov-03 17:29:10

Yes - and DS1 isn't five until July.

Eulalia Wed 05-Nov-03 19:29:31

dinosaur - you asked my ds's age on antoher thread - don't know if you saw it - his b/d is 19th July 1999 just a few days after your ds. I didn't know a child could start school so early. Here is Scotland the cut off point is end of Feb or as soon after the point of turning 5. So my ds will start school in Aug. Sorry not really helping you here, just interested that things are different (I assume you are in England?)

kayleigh Wed 05-Nov-03 20:32:29

dinosaur, my ds1 is a year older than yours and he is an august birthday. He started school in the september after his 4th birthday, as at his school there is no January intake, although for the first term he did mornings only. He did start with a few of the children from his nursery but as they were older they did afternoons for the first half term and then full days after half term. So in fact he wasn't with any of them for the first half term IYKWIM.
I was very concerned about this so on the day we visited school with him i made an effort to speak to the other mums of the kids who were in his group and we exchanged telephone numbers and got together in the summer hols. That way he knew the other kids before he started. If you are not having a visiting day before he starts where you will meet other mums maybe you could ask the school to help with this ?

I have to add that although I had reservations about him starting so early he came on so fast in his reception year that I was very glad I didn't hold him back. I know all kids are different and you know your child best so you have to weigh up all the possibilities.

Jimjams Wed 05-Nov-03 20:37:21

dinosaur- I felt the same about severing the nursery link, abd a phased transition has worked really well. I think it has been helpful for the school as well as I don't think they woud have coped if they had had him full time (no disrespect to the school- I don't think anyone would have coped)

kayleigh Wed 05-Nov-03 21:33:33

dinosaur, sorry honey. i was being a complete idiot as didn't realise the topic was special needs - just saw the part time reception bit and assumed it was general education.

should take more care when posting

kayleigh Wed 05-Nov-03 21:34:53

although possibly the meeting other kids before he starts would still be a good idea ?

cazzybabs Wed 05-Nov-03 22:19:47

Dinosaur I think ny law not matter what the schools "normal" admissions policy is you don't have to send your child to school until ther term in which they are 5, ie the summer term..

However and this is the part I am not sure of (phone the LEA) wether they have to keep your place open for you or wether it could be offered to somebody else. I remember having this conversation with my mum and she said (I think) that they have to keep it open for you. But they don't have to do part time places. I wouln't worry about putting the school's backs up - all they can say is no. They might talk about it in the staff room for a bit (everyone needs something to talk about ), but come Jan they will have forgotton and anyway what is important is the education of your son and his happiness.

cazzybabs Wed 05-Nov-03 22:22:16

Dinosaur I think ny law not matter what the schools "normal" admissions policy is you don't have to send your child to school until ther term in which they are 5, ie the summer term..

What i meant to type was

I think by law it does not matter what the schools "normal" addmissions policy is

SORRY

dinosaur Fri 07-Nov-03 10:40:53

Thanks everyone.

Kayleigh, thanks for your reply - re. meeting other kids - he already goes two days a week to the nursery which is attached to the school (and three days a week to the one which isn't attached to the school). So he does, in theory anyway, know some of the children who will be starting in Reception in January, although being on the autistic spectrum, it's quite hard to tell who he knows and who he doesn't! (When he first started going to nursery, after a few weeks he could identify all the other kids' lunchboxes but never any of their mums or dads.)

Jimjams, I'm interested that a phased transition has worked well for you, may cite this in evidence to the SENCo (although will try not to say, "My friend Jimjams..." as obviously she will think I am very odd

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: