Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Front/ easy fastening bra

(14 Posts)
AlysWho Sun 09-Oct-11 13:53:29

DD is 14yrs, asd, and has difficulties with fine and gross motor skills. She can dress herself independently (give or take a few back to front and inside out moments!).But she cant manage bra fastenings.
She doesnt want to wear a sports/over the head bra, she wants a 'normal' one. She cant manage the hook and eye fastener at all, it too fiddly and small, tho I think she could manage it if it were bigger. She also cant manage the whole 'do it up round the front upside down then twist it round and pull it up' manouvre..
I'm sure I remember having a more choice of front fastening bras when i was younger? the only ones I can find now are for post surgery, and they dont make the sizes for her- 32B
Any ideas?? Alternative fasteners or front fastening bras out there anywhere? Anyone else have this problem? x

HowlingWereWolfBitch Sun 09-Oct-11 14:00:16

Hey Alys I had a wee look for you and found this site.

They aren't the prettiest bras in the world but they do have adjustable straps which should make her feel alittle more grown up. HTH smile

AlysWho Sun 09-Oct-11 15:20:32

Excellent thats a good start.. it is a shame they're not a bit more pretty she does love pretty things.. but the popper one looks promising..thank u xx

signandsmile Sun 09-Oct-11 16:37:26

Just a thought... can you customise? change the fastening. I know I changed the little hook and eye things on one of my bras cos it got snagged on something and bent/broken, so I unpicked it and replace with new ones, maybe could replace with larger hooks, or something else? try and pm purplewerepidjin maybe?

tabulahrasa Sun 09-Oct-11 17:37:44

My DD is only 11, so I don't know what sizes they went up to, but the bras she has from primark are front fastening

AlysWho Sun 09-Oct-11 18:10:58

Primark sounds promising- were they from the teenage range though? She's outgrown the teenage range in most stores unfortunately.. I live out in the sticks, miles away from Primark, and they dont sell online!! x

tabulahrasa Sun 09-Oct-11 18:17:48

They were, I didn't check what size they went up to as I was looking for the smallest sizes, lol

vjg13 Sun 09-Oct-11 19:33:16

My daughter (13) wears the M&S teen range ?angel and puts them on over her head already fastened. It seems to be working ok doing that for the moment. She needed more support than the cropped top type. If you do find some pretty front fastening ones can you come back on and let us all know smile.

zzzzz Sun 09-Oct-11 20:00:17

I think a good tailor/dressmaker could customise for you for very little money. You could change the fastenings yourself [magnets are good for rheumatism but you need strong ones and make pockets so you can take them out before washing]. They will make them for you at Rigby and Peller but frankly you will pay through the nose!

AlysWho Sun 09-Oct-11 21:13:19

Hmm yes I could get out my sewing kit, will look into the magnet thing online. OMG vjg13 I never thought of doing them up and pulling them over her head blush! Do they stretch enough to do that? she's in t shirt bra range from m&s, I'll give it a go tomoro...thanks for advice so far ladies xx

Tiggles Sun 09-Oct-11 21:21:19

There are a few on the M&S webpage. Tried to link to the exact search page but it didn't work, so if you search on there for "front bra" they should come up.

sneezecakesmum Sun 09-Oct-11 22:07:32

I always fasten my bra at the front anyway then turn it round on my waist and hoick it up to the boob area. I have OK fine motor skills but no eyes in the back of my head lol

Lougle Sun 09-Oct-11 22:37:12

Or would velcro work?

I haven't got big boobs, so don't know how much support would be needed, but velcro is pretty strong stuff.

lisad123 Sun 09-Oct-11 23:46:44

I think I remember getting mine from John Lewis as a teen blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now