Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

erm, wtf? class teacher and private SALT

(20 Posts)
ArthurPewty Wed 01-Dec-10 16:49:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cansu Wed 01-Dec-10 16:57:21

If they have issues with the report then they should explain them to you, as you are the person who commissioned the report. I think that they acted quite unprofesionally in that they are trying to avoid being open with you by phoning SALT privately.

ArthurPewty Wed 01-Dec-10 17:09:23

ArthurPewty Wed 01-Dec-10 17:58:46

ArthurPewty Wed 01-Dec-10 18:14:00

cansu Wed 01-Dec-10 18:45:50

You sound just like me - I immediately draft my response and then wait for twenty four hours or so so I can delete some of my more angry sentences!!

colditz Wed 01-Dec-10 18:47:23

take the SALT with you (if you can afford it) and tell the teacher that you wish to know what part of the report they take issue with?

ArthurPewty Wed 01-Dec-10 18:50:49

Eveiebaby Wed 01-Dec-10 20:43:34

I agree school should be talking with you first. It is unacceptable for them to not explain their concerns to you but be willing to discuss with another professional that you have sought help from privately.
But on the other hand if school do talk to SALT can the SALT not then tell you what they said? Totally not the most professional way to go about things I know but it may be the only way of getting any info from your DD's school.

ArthurPewty Thu 02-Dec-10 07:27:06

shaz298 Thu 02-Dec-10 08:45:56

I had this conversation this year with the Ed Psych, who is actually really good, but sadly not my LO Ed psych any more...........We had only just met and after about half an hour he asked me.'So are you Bitch other from Hell?' I repleid thay yes I probalby was. His response............that's good. Those are the kind of parents who get the right services for their kids. DOesn't make you any friends but at least your child will get what he needs!

So stuff them and keep on top of them when they aren't doing their job right!!

Hugs

Sharon xx

ArthurPewty Thu 02-Dec-10 10:16:26

working9while5 Thu 02-Dec-10 11:11:24

I am going to stick my head above the parapet here and say I don't really think it's unprofessional for the class teacher to contact the SALT to seek clarification/share her opinion of the report if the report has been shared and the SALT's name and contact details were on it.

This is common practice with NHS SALTs and guidelines issued by the RCSLT indicate that we can be held to account for our reports and must be able to justify what we have written etc. We are also mandated to provide clear advice to educational professsionals and discuss this with them if we are making recommendations/communicate/liaise with everyone in the child's team, not just the referral agent. There are probably subtle legalities around this but the class teacher may not be aware of them. If you feel that you have had a good relationship with her in the past, don't assume that this phonecall has turned her into One of Them. She may just find it a bit bewildering and/or if there are detailed observations of her class teaching and "recommendations" regarding these, she may feel that she needs to discuss this further/"answer" what she may perceive as "criticisms". None of this necessarily means that she has become One of Them or that she wants to deny your daughter provision.. she may genuinely feel the report is "wrong" at this point in time but I wouldn't judge her for wanting to check her opinion with the author of the report.

I don't really know a lot about your daughter, but from the bits I have seen, she has higher-level language difficulties that are masked in her environment. I don't think it is unusual for a teacher to contact a SALT in these circumstances. The CT clearly doesn't "see" what the SALT does in class, and a discussion between them is not necessarily a bad thing if the SALT is an expert and the CT needs to change how she views your daughter's progress as she is missing out on subtleties etc? I certainly find that the reports that teachers tend to "disagree" with are ones relating to comprehension and/or subtle pragmatic difficulties as these are frequently less obvious in school settings unless you have experience/knowledge of the impact of these difficulties.

In some ways, the fact that she has been challenged by this report and it has provoked a reaction that she wants to discuss with the SALT is a good thing, I would say. It means that she is acting on her opinions of the report and being clear about it - if she were intransigent to change, she would just look at the report and think "load of rubbish", share that with her superiors and not engage with Your Side at all.

Could be wrong, and to a certain extent I am playing Devil's Advocate as I do think you can look at this in a number of different ways.. and I am writing this mostly in response to you saying that you have had an okay relationship with her. The adversarial nature of the process can make everyone seem like an enemy and maybe she is.. but maybe she isn't.

working9while5 Thu 02-Dec-10 11:20:56

Also, while I understand that you are impressed with the content of the report provided by this expert SALT, I think she has handled this in an unusual way. It would have been perfectly reasonable for her to contact the teacher to tell her that she wasn't prepared to discuss the report in more detail withour your permission and ask the CT to contact you to explain her concerns/seek permission for further contact between the SALT/CT. She may not "be impressed" that they went to her first but she seems to me to be fanning the flames and asking you to do her donkey work. She wrote the report, she should explain that she is not going to discuss it not you.

She is willing to give up her lunchbreak from her Very Important Job to deal with this? At no cost to you? I seem to remember that you paid her a pretty hefty price for this assessment and I would see it as her role to ensure that the assessment results are understood by all members of your daughter's team..

You can love her and what she has to say but I think she could have handled this better I have to say.

ArthurPewty Thu 02-Dec-10 12:16:15

ArthurPewty Thu 02-Dec-10 12:19:19

working9while5 Thu 02-Dec-10 15:54:00

Hi

As I said, only playing Devil's Advocate. I suppose I don't see her day job as being relevant in this context if she is charging you for an assessment. Most SALTs have multiple bits to their jobs. I have done some of the CAMHs ASD diagnostic work with vulnerable teens who are excluded if not at this level (mainly just on diagnostic teams etc) and it is very, very important work.. but it is rare that an individual team member would be the only person able to respond to a crisis, especially a SALT (regardless of expertise level).

It's fantastic that SALTs of her calibre are involved in this type of work, but to some extent, I don't think that really disobligates her from dealing with someone contacting her to clarify her work. She has chosen to undertake private work in addition to her public role and is not doing so voluntarily, so her duty of care to you and your dd is as important as any of her other clients. Does she need to call your dd's CT if she simultaneously has a pager beep about a client on suicide watch? Of course not! That's basic prioritisation.. but I feel she does have an obligation to follow through on what she has written with the CT without you incurring further costs. Will she charge you if the CT requires clarification?

If she is making recommendations about your dd's functioning in a school environment without having gone to visit, I am not surprised that the CT is confused. Has she spoken to the CT confused? This seems a very important thing to do ahead of making recommendations...

I'm sorry if I sound like I am being negative about her. I just felt a bit hmm about you being asked to go back to the CT on this one. If she had asked you for permission to discuss further with the CT, that would seem very reasonable.. but she wants you to tell her what the CT wants? And the CT won't tell you? It doesn't sound very effective and seems quite stressful for you.
It also sounded to me like she is expecting to charge you for further involvement.. just saying it how it seemed to me.

ArthurPewty Thu 02-Dec-10 17:04:01

mariagoretti Thu 02-Dec-10 19:58:10

Agree with working that professionals communicating via a parent tends to degenerate into chinese whispers. But excluding the parents isn't ideal either, so seeking your consent is fair enough.

The CT may well want an informal but frank chat without disclosing to you that she's completely clueless about what the recommendations mean. Or to be stroppy because she thinks she's been misunderstood. Or even to moan about you, and ask how to handle you better wink

If you contacted the CT with consent for her to liase with the SALT, and give you a summary of the conversation after, would that help? Or ask the CT to write to the SALT copying you in? Or have a joint meeting?

ArthurPewty Thu 02-Dec-10 20:03:22

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now