possible autism or something else?

(4 Posts)
Pastyandacustardslice Mon 20-Mar-17 21:54:03

<Name-changed as detail will might out-me>

DS7 is struggling with school, he has multiple melt-downs a day, and spends large portions of the day calming down in the corridor. He refuses to go outside at playtime and says that he's lost all his friends (possibly due to his angry outbursts where he blames the other kids for his anger).

5 months ago was the first time we heard of his struggles and it was around the time that we complained to school about persistent bullying that was affecting lots of the boys (ie DS was one of many, many targets for 2 boys that appeared to rule the playground).

5 months later, the bullying was dealt with and all the other kids seem to be doing OK apart from DS, who is still very very angry - and getting worse.

We're in the process of getting a CAMHS referral, but are getting frustrated by the time it's taking and i can't stop doing google-diagnosis (which doesn't help!!)

Before this happened we'd had 2 years of OK reports from school, not great, not terrible, he learns well enough, was sociable, nothing too out of the ordinary. But since the bullying it's all changed. The school are treating him as if he has Autism, which had never even occurred to us before.

Does anyone have any experience of classroom meltdowns where it wasn't down to Autism?

Fanjango Mon 20-Mar-17 23:50:30

To be honest if he's having these meltdowns then a referral to Paediatric doctors should be made to assess. Can the schools SENCO refer for you? If not ask your gp.

Pastyandacustardslice Tue 21-Mar-17 15:33:20

Thanks fan, the school told us they'd made a referral 5 months ago but it turns out that they haven't (I don't know why).

We're now going down the frustratingly slow GP route. And are in shock tbh.

Imaginosity Wed 22-Mar-17 21:13:57

Is there anything else about him that's different to others his age?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now