Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Did you start carrying your baby when they were born?

(9 Posts)
boundarybabe Fri 04-Sep-09 14:11:52

Or did you wait until later? I was fully intending to sling DS everywhere (I live in a flat so issues with buggies vs stairs) and bought a wilkinet and was given a babasling in preparation. However when he was tiny I found a structured carrier with buckles easier (he just didn't feel safe in a sling and the wilkinet was a faff to put on when he was small and floppy!) and then I started using the buggy. Now that he can sit up I have rediscovered the babasling for the hip carry and am starting to use it more. I've even invested in a second hand ring sling which should arrive soon. Has anyone else done things this way round or am I just contrary? grin

foxytocin Sat 05-Sep-09 10:45:17

DD2 was in her first sling when she was 6 hours hold so yes, you can start carrying from birth. In fact she is now 11 months and I've never put her in a push chair.

Bleatblurt Sat 05-Sep-09 14:17:37

I tried using a ring sling when DS3 was tiny but never quite got the hang of it - and I think I was a bit nervous of it when he was so 'breakable'. When he was about 6 months or so and seemed more solid, iykwim, I started carrying him again and still am now he's a chunky 21 month old! grin

millenniumfalcon Sat 05-Sep-09 14:22:24

i can't face having them in a pushchair when they're tiny, they feel so far away and tbh it panics me slightly crossing roads blush. with dd2 i used a padded mei tai tied across the back for support for the first few weeks, then once she was a bit less slumpy i liked a stretchy carrier (tricotti) the best.

Loopymumsy Sat 05-Sep-09 20:55:47

Message withdrawn

swottybetty Tue 08-Sep-09 00:05:52

ds is three months old and went in a pram for first time last week.

Grumpla Tue 15-Sep-09 08:38:56

My son is almost 4 months old, I carried him in the house and used a pram outside for the first couple of months as it was so hot & he was cooler in the carry-cot. Now the weather is on the turn I think I will end up using the sling much more, especially now he is almost at the facing outwards stage which should make it a bit more interesting for him (and a bit less wet-necked for me)

boogeek Tue 15-Sep-09 08:42:05

I never had a pram or buggy until mine were 6 months and able to sit up a bit. (Had DD1 abroad; we had no car and the subway station had no life and 2 flights of stairs from street to platform - what was I supposed to do?! Then with Dd2 I just liked carrying a tiny grin and didn't want to put her in a pram)

oopsacoconut Tue 15-Sep-09 08:52:46

DD was in the sling from whan we got home and at a year has only just started using the buggy regularly. I still carry her alot too, especially when I am in a rush or she is grumpy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now