Talk

Advanced search

questions for co-sleepers: how easy it was to get your baby to sleep on her own and when did you do it?

(7 Posts)
M78 Fri 18-Sep-09 19:41:36

I have a 2 wks old dd2 and so far I have only managed to get her to sleep at night by putting her in bed with me. As soon as I put her in her Moses basket she starts making a grunting, straining sound that eventually escalates in crying. I do not mind doing it at the moment as I am breastfeeding and tired, but I do not want to end up co-sleeping forever. My question is, how easy will it be to move her to her own bed and when should I do it? I did not co-sleep with my dd1(7yrs) and she was a really bad sleeper until she turned 2yrs when I did CC and it worked. I was really strict with her in terms of not letting her sleep with me etc. so this time I decided to be a bit more relaxed about the whole thing, hoping to have a baby that sleeps better. I struggled with sleep deprivation the first time around so much that it put me off having another child for a long time so this time I am keep to get it right!

notcitrus Fri 18-Sep-09 21:14:33

I don't think there's any right answer, but my ds refused to sleep anywhere except on me or in his buggy for the first 6 weeks (I moved to the lounge and left him in the buggy quite a bit!). Then we made it to my bed and one night I had to take codiene so swaddled him up as usual and put him in the moses basket on my bed. No problem.

Couple weeks later I put the moses basket next door, and he moved to the cot age 4 months - he's been an average sleeper since (not bad except when having a cold which is a lot).

Reesie Sun 20-Sep-09 22:19:21

My dd1 was an appalling sleeper and I ended up co-sleeping out of desperation! Saying thatthough I really started to enjoy it after a few weeks.In the end she stayed in our bed for about 18 months and went straight into a double bed of her own.

If she called out in the night - I would just jump in with her but this was very infrequent. I found the transition really easy.

Now dd2 has arrived - I just popped her straight into bed with us - much easier! She is now 5 months and does wake up in the night to feed but I just breastfeed in my sleep so I dont get disturbed too much!

Babies are appalling sleepers - just go with it and do what ever it takes to get your maximum sleep. Don't get stressed about it or otherwise it will become a big deal for you and your dd. Enjoy snuggling up with your lovely warm cuddly baby. She will love it! She'll go into her own bed with a bit of gentle persuasion later on!

Rosebud05 Wed 30-Sep-09 21:55:56

I remember having exactly the same concerns when my dc were tinies. I had no intention of co-sleeping until the reality of the fact that they wouldn't sleep in a moses baskeet/cot for the first bit set it! They're all so different but for the record my dd slept with me (pretty badly) most of the time until she was 6 months when we put her in her own room and she's never been in our bed since (nor particularly wanted to).
Enjoy those tiny baby snuggles - they don't last long!

33k Thu 01-Oct-09 21:13:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

33k Thu 01-Oct-09 21:14:21

33k Thu 01-Oct-09 21:15:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now